Download problems

I’m trying to install programs on my Langmuir pro system… I downloaded fusion 360 , cad/cam file, break in file. Got the fire control, fusion360 up and working,but the breakin only goes to midpoint like 29x29 diagonally. Is there anyone that can do a video of downloads of programs and how to find where to put them once downloaded. I can’t seem to grasp what to do. Don’t know how to open them properly. Please help

Did you perhaps download the CrossFire Break in instead of the PRO Break in? You should be able to load these programs right into FireControl.

1 Like

Yes I loaded the wrong program. Got it all swuared away now(that part). Now it’s the programs. Downloaded the sheetcam file but how to get it to the system. When I see it in downloads than double click it doesn’t load in the fire control area. I think I’m doing something wrong when i do that ?

Did you download Sheetcam or the Sheetcam post processor?

Either way, neither goes in Firecontrol. Sheetcam is a stand alone program that creates tool paths from your drawings and post processes those paths into G-code that Firecontrol can use. The current version of Sheetcam has the Firecontrol v1.6 post processor in the library of Post Processors, so you don’t need to download it. Setting up Sheetcam is a different topic, but there are several of us here that can assist you with that.

The process of using the table works like this:

1. Design - this is where you make a drawing of the design or part you want to cut. You can do this with Fusion 360, or any number of other design programs that will export a DXF or SVG file. You can also download DXF files from various file sharing/sales websites.

2. CAM - this is where you take that design and turn it into tool paths that the plasma torch will follow. Fusion 360 or Sheetcam are your only supported options for this task.

3. Post Processing - This step takes those tool paths that were created in CAM and turns them into G-code that Firecontrol can use to cut your design/part. The post processor will output a file (.nc file for Fusion and .tap file for Sheetcam) and save it in a location that you choose. It’s easier to find these files if you create a file folder on your computer to save them to. Fusion 360 and Sheetcam are the only programs that have supported post processors for Firecontrol. (I think Pro Nest also has a Firecontrol post processor)

4. Cut with Firecontrol - this step is where you will take that G-code file and load it into Firecontrol by clicking the little up arrow button next to where is says “load program”. That opens a window where you can select the location on your computer to look for files. Select the location where you cut file are and click on the one you want to load.

1 Like

I have fusion 360 downloaded, so do I need the sheetcam? I know I have it downloaded to a file but my problem is putting it somewhere. It’s similar to fusion360 ? So I can use either or?

Fusion can do everything you need to be able to cut things on your table, however people who are not proficient with computers have difficulty with learning to use it. There are people here that can help you learn it. I don’t use it at all, so I can’t help with that.

Sheetcam is not a design program, it can only make toolpaths and post processes them. It is a paid program(one time fee), but most people find it much easier to use for creating toolpaths.

I use FreeCad to design accurately dimensioned parts, mostly because I was already using it for 3d printing designs and I was comfortable with using it. I use Inkscape for anything artistic or to add text to my FreeCad designs. It is a free program and there are a ton of YouTube videos on how to use it. I use Sheetcam for toolpaths and post processing. This process works well for me, but I can see the benefit of using Fusion from start to finish.

Thanks for the info. I’m gonna try the fusion first and see how that goes. I also have to download Inkscape next. I’m mainly going to be cutting signage. I’ll play with the designing parts later.

I’m not sure that’s really a fair assessment. Being a long-time computer user (since 1981 professionally & for years before hand in school going back to junior high school), if it was just computer proficiency then I’d have been able to learn it in minutes :slight_smile: But it took some effort - you really need to think like Fusion. Every program is written from a point-of-view and a programmer’s specific perspective and that either meshes with the way you think or it doesn’t. If it does, then it’s generally easier to learn than if it doesn’t. That’s not a failure of the individual, just a different mental framework.

I actually use Freecad, Sketchup and (my preferred) Design Spark Mechanical for 3D work (VCarve Pro for 1F use, CorelDraw and Inkscape for laser work). They all come at 3D design a little differently I just have to adjust my mindset a little when I switch between them.

If the OP doesn’t “get” Fusion, there are suitable alternatives (like you found with Freecad), it’s not a reflection on their computer proficiency. :slight_smile:

I was just trying to be brief. If you are not proficient with computers, you will likely have problems understanding it. If you are proficient with computers, you may still have problems understanding it. I’m pretty good with computers and I tried and failed several times to learn Fusion for 3d design on my own. It was only after watching some Youtube videos on FreeCad, that I finally understood the concept of sketches with constraints.

I notice that quite a few of the people having trouble, with any of the software, are actually having trouble with some of the basic concepts of file folders and how to locate them. They also struggle with the concept that not all files are something that they can double click on to open.

1 Like

if you are mainly doing signage…and that is what I started doing…then accuracy for fabricated parts does not play as big a factor in your cuts…then I recommend from my experience is Inkscape…followed by Sheetcam to create files for FIrecontrol to use.

I am very computer savy…in fact I have a background in AutoCAD…and I use that for detailed parts…but I could not grasp Fusion as it goes backwards to AutoCAD in some ways…but I will try it again later.

Yeah my wife just doesn’t get it. She just doesn’t have her brain wired that way. Doesn’t help she’s an Apple Mac person :crazy_face:

I don’t like Fusion because of their licensing - they used to be very supportive of the maker community and small businesses. Now they’ve really backed off that and keep changing the terms with shady explanations (anything but the obvious “we want you to pay for it”) and unilateral decisions about what features they think you “need” regardless of your thoughts on that matter. If they were honest about it, I’d likely still be using it. I really appreciated their sheet metal folding functionality. But I found the same features in Design Spark so they’ve lost me for life. They could have kept me for life (& paying) if they didn’t b.s. about their motives.

1 Like

this my first computer experience ever, imalmost 50. ihave no idea what to do. its like reading egyptian to me.ARGGGGGG. days and days staring at a computer… ithought this would be easy like using a tablet. everything dwnloaded. keeps telling me my drivers arnt correct. i can jog the machine, but cant get the breakin to run. omg sorry for the spelling idont know how to fix.

1 Like

The break in program is just a g code file that you load into Firecontrol like any cut file that you will run in the future.

Click on the up arrow next to where it says “load program” in the upper left of the Firecontrol screen. That will open a file explorer window. Find your downloads folder and select the break in program.

Jog the torch to the lower left corner and hit “zero all axis” in Firecontrol. Then hit start.

1 Like

Is there a local Makerspace in your area? Do a Google search on “Makerspace near me” or “maker space near me”. They’ll often have CNC routers or lasers and those are very similar to a CNC plasma like the Crossfire. They often have classes and people who can help with getting you comfortable with what you need to be able to do. Heck, you might find someone with a Crossfire themselves or who wants to try their hand at it and willing to trade their time teaching you for some time on the machine.

2 Likes

I got it. Thanks

1 Like

Where are you located Dank?? If close to me, I’d have no problem spending a Saturday ironing things out with ya!

1 Like