DIY Fixture Table

I want to build a fixture table, but it will be stored outside, so I am not spending the money on a good cast table.

I have a 4’ x 5’ chunk of 1/2" plate that I want to burn the holes into with my CF Pro. I also have some 1/2x4 bar stock I will rib the bottom with on a 12" grid.

The best hole I have been able to produce is .685 a the top, and .630 at the bottom. That creates a lot of pivot. How much pivot is acceptable with the 5/8 table clamps?

I am having a table milled to get away from this. I think the clamps will grab but they may be cocked alot.
You would have to cut a hole and try it. I would not want that much on a fixture table. Some guys will cut then come back and drill to size with a mag drill.

24^2…lot of damn holes.

1 Like

But then you would have the holes there just flip sheet over and you have a hole your annular cutter will start in and save a bunch of time on lining things up.
I have a sample piece of 3/4" that had a 5/8" hole put in with a laser, to see how it measures.
Not much cheaper to have holes cut with a laser or a mill. laser might be $300-400 cheaper on a 5x8 table.
and your right its a whole lot of holes

2 Likes

Yeah, that hard crusty shell that the plasma leaves somewhere in the 63 rockwell area is hell on HSS cutters, Carbide do not like interrupted cuts.

If I am running an annular cutter, no point in running across the table.

If I am going to spend the coin on outsourcing the laser cutting, I may as well buy the cast table.

1 Like

for me to have a 5x8 milled with holes on a 2" grid is about $6500 plus cheaper then a premium Fireball or Seigmund. I will mount to the frame I have or make a new one.
Thats no grinding on the one if I have it milled.

1 Like

Well, local shop that has a laser…$2800. 4 ArcFlat tables…$2800. Premium Fireball 54x54…$6500 +S&H.

Looks like I am going to wear out a few annular cutters, and a 12 hour shift drilling holes.

4 Likes