Dirty nozzles and poor material contact

I have been getting a lot of crap stuck on my nozzle lately and the machine won’t sense voltage, I pull it off, pick the crap off with my fingernail and get back to cutting. I am assuming this is a common occurrence in plasma cutting. I was curious if anyone runs the ohmic ring to create another point of contact. Obviously if your tip is dirty it should be cleaned. I was just thinking about this and figured someone else has pondered the same thought. Cheers!

You have something else going wrong. Voltage is sensed through the arc. The ohmic contact you are talking about is only for initial height sensing, it enables the IHS to detect height with minimal deflection.

Only @TomWS has an ohmic setup, but he has an OG crossfire with Mach3. Can’t be done with firecontrol machines.

I occasionally get some spatter on the nozzle but it keeps going without issue. Never had to clean it off to keep cutting.

3 Likes

Yeah I knew someone would set me straight in that one! Thanks for the info. I think I’m getting some sort of interference. Need to go though my setup. Everything looks good and nothing has changed. When my torch is up and ground connected I get phantom voltage, when I pull the ground off of the work price it drops to zero. Maybe my torch is somehow grounding to the machine through the gantry? I’ll dig around. Thanks.

IHS contacts clean?

Edit, you have an XR, they should be protected right?

Not sure honestly. I think they are probably protected on the xr

Do you have an XR?

If you have a XR make sure top IHS contact tang is not touching the Z axis screw.

1 Like

yes. I have an xr. do you mean the electrical contacts?