Difference between restarting a "Loop" or "Line" Fire Control

Had a failed arc start in the middle of a program and Fire Control gave me the option to start on “loop” or “Line” 135159.

Question 1- What is a loop?

Question 2- Why would I use one over another?

Question 3- If I didn’t know the line the program faulted on due to me clearing the alarm to fast or forgetting, how would I go about finding that line to restart without jacking up the program?

Sorry for the multi part question :wink:
Josh

I am not real good in gcode and some of the technical stuff…but here it is in my simple experiance

when given the option for line or loop…
a loop is a sequence of code to create a cut along a path or a combined movement of torch and operations.
a line is a part of the loop …
so you can pick the start of a movement…or you can pick a certain point in the movement.

when this happens…click a line in the firecontrol window of the gcode …if a circle appears on your screen on the pattern…then that is a line you have picked…if a bold line appears on the pattern then you have picked a loop.

your example…arc failed…it gives you the option for line or loop …by licking on the gcode screen you can attempt to start before or after the place where your problem occurred…I often find it easier to start at a loop before the problem and see if it cuts properly…if it fails again…then I pick a point past…if it fails again…I start looking for other issues…improper workclamp…blown consumable…

hope that helps you out

4 Likes

Perfect! Yes, this does answer my questions and thank you for throwing in your additional suggestions for the restart procedures. I am obviously no whiz in G Code either…at least to the point that I can accurately restart in the plasma world! I am use to Fanuc automation and Okuma lathes that I can at least reference a tool or position note to go back to when restarting. Failure is always the best teacher in my book!

Toolboy is right, lol. But I like to describe it as the loop being what was already programmed as a complete torch on - cut - torch off path. Then the line is just a piece of that original path.

You don’t need to click the code window either, you can click on a segment in the visualization and it will take you to the code.

3 Likes

That is good to know as well, thank you for the clear explanation on this matter too!