Design software for landscaping / buildings

Not a question on plasma cutting exactly, but wondering if the folks on here have any experience with software used for larger designs like landscaping / structures like a shed.

I’m using F360 pretty successfully for my ‘component’ parts and smaller things I want to cut out of metal, but I’ve got a few projects - like an outdoor kitchen space - that I want to design an overview 3d model. I’m planning to design a few of the components for this space in Fusion and cut the designs on my Crossfire Pro (like cooking surfaces, fire pit areas, sinks, etc…but F360 is not really suited for building a higher level design that might incorporate many of the smaller detailed projects (ive tried)…

I’ve looked at Sketchup a fair bit and it seems like a decent way to go. I’ve also done some research on various ‘google finds’ that look hit or miss.

I don’t mind paying for something that provides me value - so it doesn’t have to be free, but certainly that’s a factor…don’t want to pay thousands for it either…

Hoping some folks that may have some experience in this area may have some ideas to research further…thanks in advance…

I thought 360 could do that?

I’ve attempted a few designs, but f360 doesn’t have the tools to design this type of stuff - or I just don’t know the right way to do it. Sketchup seems much better for this type of stuff, and if that’s what I need, then I’ll spend some more time there…but I’m really just wondering out loud what others might be doing - but this may be the wrong place to ask :grin:

Structure Studios has landscape design software that I use. Check it out.

1 Like

Just as an update and to close out this thread…I’m planning to use Autodesk Revit LT 2021. This for my own use so I can present plans to inspectors and obtain permits for my own property. It has a 30 day free trial (which I’ll use to learn the software and make sure I can make use of it). It’s then $55 / mo. I think I can do what I need in 2-3 months and then cancel subscription. So I think that will work for me.

1 Like

good luck…nothing is more fun than dealing with inspectors to obtain permits from city/county…I just spent $16,000…yes $16,000 to allow me to build a new garage on my property…that is not the permit…that was all the consultants and city fees just to get permission to move the property line back a bit…12’ back…

3 Likes

Wow that’s alot of graft! I’m hoping to get by with about $500 of design software expense and $500 of permits. That’s before I do the work…I paid a guy over $1200 to build a plan for me last year and it was terrible. Was a “professional” designer. So, alas…here I am…keyboard warrior and a six pack. :beer:

3 Likes

Hmmm…might want to do the keyboard warrior stuff first and then move on to the six pack. Otherwise you might find your design ends up in the “hey Joe look at this, can you believe it!” pile when you go get your permits :grin:

DAMHIK :wink:

2 Likes

Good advice in general! I think I’ve met Joe :smile: LOL

1 Like

Funny story. I know a guy that designed & built his own house on 5 acres, only to realize the one car garage is on one end, and the kitchen is on the opposite end. Now he bitches about hauling groceries across the house and how stupid he feels. I say he should feel more stupid about having a 1 car garage. It would’ve been very cheap to add a couple more. :rofl:

3 Likes

I am pretty decent in autocard so I was able to do all my own designs and drawings.
I just had an Enginerr review and sign off of the structural.
All I am really doing is adding a single car garage attached to my existing single car garage…this giving my 2 garage doors but an open inside 2 car garage shop.
The only issue…the wife now parks her car outside…my penalty is I must clean her car of snow at all times…small sacrifice

1 Like

I tell my wife thats why she has remote start.

1 Like