Desiccant Dryers

@ChelanJim

I know you like experiments and anyone else interested.

I will not bust or confirm any theory today. The project I did I had to smooth weld up on so didn’t sand blast just etched with a flap disk

These beads have about 3 hours of the fluidized hopper low pressure and low volume. It just lifts the powder in the can. I didn’t pour them out my plans are to run them for a while and see.

3 Likes

I do! I do! :disguised_face: :crazy_face:

Loaded my last fresh charge into my desiccant canister today so I decided to bake the two used charges I had.

I baked them at 300° for 2 and 1/2 hours. As soon as it was done I put them in the Mason jar while they’re still hot. As they cool off they ll actually suck the lid in and create a great seal.

I do have some standard white non color change beads mixed in with the blue ones.

3 Likes

How often time wise do you think you have to change? What quantity do you let change when you switch?

Why do you do that, he asked, adding extra letters to exceed 10… sigh

3 Likes

I think my quoted text might count as letters.

I just was short for a full container so I added some and they slowly been dispersing through the mix.

Normally every 4 sessions so maybe 3 hours hours.

It’s changed pink about a quarter of the way up the vessel worth of desiccant.

2 Likes

It doesn’t. I simply replied ‘Why?’ after the quote and had my hand slapped (well, virtually anyway).

5 Likes

Now we know

Maybe that was picture text then?
(Edit. Yep it’s works with zero letter, look below)

1 Like

@Phillipw this is what I kind of Base my switch over time on. I want to try to keep my pressure dew point is close to -40 as possible. The SYNC units have a different air quality rating though so they can take a higher pressure dew point.

On the chart you can see even after 2-3 hours at 5 CFM at 50% duty cycle it’s already degraded to -30 pressure dew point. And the beads would probably still look most blue at this point.

The arrow D-10-04 has a capacity of 1 quart l.

3 Likes

3 Likes

I am actually working on my beads now and to see if I can sweat my pipes. I am at 30 percent humidity and 63 degrees. I have been cutting near continuously for 40 minutes. I also have a small desiccant dryer hooked up to one of my dry air tanks letting air run through it to see if there is any sign of moisture down stream.

Gotta make @ChelanJim happy.

3 Likes

Happens to me on here all the time! Welcome to the club. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

2 Likes

Unlikely you’ll get the surface to condense at the relative humidity.

1 Like

I agree the day I did I want to think it was raining. I had 3 hours torch on time with maybe 10 minutes break twice while resetting the plate

@TinWhisperer @ChelanJim

These beads have been downstream from my other desiccant dryer. They have been useed for a couple hours low volume and low pressure. Then I let a 30 gallon tank drain through them twice.
I will continue to run them. Plans are next week to use them quite a bit. We will see. If i see them change I will share.

3 Likes

LOL, next time I’ll put a photo of a junker in the reply. I’m sure that would add value to the conversation…

1 Like

TinMan, I had a girlfriend about 30+ years ago who had one of those Honda 1600s. We installed a trailer hitch and pulled a two-spot snowmobile trailer all over New England. It was a great car. You made me smile, even if TomWS doesn’t like it.

3 Likes

If I may ask, what kind of tube did you install to ensure the charge air would be directed to the bottom of the filter housing? Usually those filters have the outlet in the center, and the inlet is the annulus, which if you were to use right out, the charge air would just pass through the topmost layer of beads if fully filled.

Are you running it in reverse flow?

I’ve got a spare one of these that I’m tempted to use. Mine say they’re 75 psi max pressure however.

That’s to low for me