Desiccant Dryer - DIY - Overkill?

So after experiencing some cut issues, poor consumable life and reading how troublesome moisture is in countless threads. I went on an all at war on moisture.

I started with an after cooler on my compressor. Used a hydraulic fluid radiator with electric fans that brought the temp to ambient, one post copper loop (with drain) followed by 2 separators before entering tank (no accumulation in 2nd separator). Removed a lot of water, but not all.

This only took care of about 80% of the moisture. Still got some water in the tank and to the plasma cutter about 40’ down stream. Possibly from lower overnight temps.

So I looked at desiccant dryers. Bought a small dryer from HF, but never installed it. Just seemed like the 2oz of desiccant wouldn’t last and I would be continuously swapping and baking beads. And I didn’t want to pay $$ for commercial dryer or HF cooler dryer.

So instead I built this:

2 Inch Clear PVC with 1/2" inner output pipe. As pictured, the air passes through 4.4 pounds of desiccant. Filled to capacity, the dryer will hold 6 pounds.

Pretty sure the air is dry now. Experiencing excellent cut quality and time will tell on consumables. I think this will last a minute.

So did I get carried away? Is there similar out there?

2 Likes

I used a water filter…

After a couple of months

1 Like

I cringe! …hope I’m wrong!! :flushed:
I worry that those polymer vessels may not stand up to air pressurization over time and/or if struck and may rupture like grenades spewing shrapnel all over the shop threatening life and limb.
They may be fine for water (liquids) which as such are incompressible and in a rupture the pressure decays almost instantaneously and thus virtually zero propulsion. Gasses on the other hand, are compressible and in a failure mode, the decompression is protracted over time, promoting fragmentation and the propulsion of shrapnel all over the place. As such, you will notice most commercially made polymer air filters and such have a metal shield surrounding them.
PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s why I’m not running a PVC desiccant like that. Too afraid of it failing. I’d love to have a huge reservoir for it like that though.

No, you did not get carried away. I don’t think a huge dessicant reservoir removes more moisture than a small one though, I think it just lasts longer?

I have an Aftercooler, copper manifold, ref dryer, dessicant and motorguard.

yeah I’ve always thought about that too…lol I am planning on making a shroud for it.

it’s rated for 125 psi but have about 100 psi coming from the compressor.

these are all great ideas…but I also worry about the plastic exploding after time …
also keep in mind to make sure you motorguard filter or the last device is a filter before the plasma…
beads do move and disintegrate and are murder if they get into the plasma machine or torch head…

I used to run 1" pvc lines in the shop, until I read about some that had failed. When they go (due to age, UV, etc) they fail spectacularly. Now I run copper pipe for air around the shop (and get free cooling!)

I bought the spendy HPC system and have been happy with it in very dry Colorado.

1 Like

pvc will melt and blow out when you are 15 feet up a ladder soldering copper replacemet air lines.
ask me how I know:rage: