Cutting problems RW Cut45 with 200 Volts incoming power instead of 240 (solved)

There is something you are all over looking here when it comes to consumables for any plasma cutter or torch.

As this thread is dealing with the Razorweld plasma cutter and the X45 torch here is a few thing you may or may not know. and will apply to other plasma cutters and torch’s.

First the consumables that Razorweld and Langmuir sells for the Razorweld are (made to look like Hypertherm consumables) from China they are not Hypertherm. Hypertherm does not recommend using there consumables with the Razorweld X45 torch. Now if you plan on going with Hypertherm consumables you need to use everything, electrode, tip, swirl ring, retaining cup (won’t work on the X45 hand torch , but will work on the machine torch) and cnc shield as everything is made to work together as a complete unit. Mixing Chinese consumables, Tacmo consumables and or Hypertherm consumables will never work well.

NOTE: One of the reasons Hypertherm has went to the cartage is because of all the Chinese aftermarket consumables being sold.

When a customer ask me for consumables for there Razorweld I tell them right up front. If they do not use everything there can be cutting trouble, misfires, poor cuts etc. Its not to make more money or sell them extra stuff they don’t need. Its so they have a complete setup so if there is some kind of trouble it is most likely not the consumables.

NOTE: Everything used on the plasma cutter torch are consumables. Electrodes, cutting tips, swirl rings, retaining cups and shields. Yes some wear out faster then others. But when your having trouble just changing the electrode and or tip will not always fix the problem unless you can see for sure it was bad. One of the most over looked consumable is the swirl ring. Well it looks good so it must be good, WRONG.

So how important is the swirl ring? Do you ever replace it? Does it wear out? Does it affect the cuts? Lets see if this can help answer some or all of these questions.

The swirl ring does 5 thing when installed.

#1 Its a spacer between the torch head and the cutting tip

#2 Its a air seal between the torch head and the cutting tip

#3 Its an insulator between the torch head and the cutting tip

#4 It has air holes to swirl the air around the electrode to keep it cool (note: the hafnium in the end of the electrode becomes 3500 to 4000 degrees when cutting)

#5 it has air holes to swirl the air that comes out of your cutting tip to help keep a plasma flame uniform. ( Note: over air pressure will deform the flame )

Now to me the answer to the questions are YES the swirl ring is very important and should not be over looked. It wears out the same as other consumables and should be replaced if you start having cutting issues.

8 Likes

Nicely done Thank you.

I’ve been having problems cutting ever since hooking up the machine, before changing out all my consumables to hypertherm ones.
my issue seems to be with how inconsistent the z axis moves when starting the cut.
sometimes it will start at pierce height and then go down to cut height gradually while moving along the path, which leads to arc being lost.
sometimes it will go to pierce height, and then start moving along the cut path without going down to cut height, which also leads to arc lost. its very inconsistent and its never the same twice even with the same file. would a bad swirl ring cause these problems?
and is there anything youd suggest i try to see if it resolves the problem?

the consumables are fairly new still but i can try changing all of them again and trying it out. but all of the cuts that do happen (at least for the short duration before it cuts out) are always very clean and barely have any bevel or dross.
i will shoot you a dm!

I really don’t think your problem is consumables. Its interference from some were causing it.

2 Likes

okay, next time im at shop i will try to isolate the wires as much as possible and keep everything as away from each other as i can and try some test cuts. i appreciate the response!

After months and months of trouble shooting, I believe the problem is finally resolved.
First thing, I dont have much knowledge on the topic of wiring, electricity and other Benjamin Franklin type of stuff like that, but hopefully what I am explaining makes some sense to everyone.
I am located in Japan, where standard voltage here is 100v / 200v. To power the Cut45 Plasma cutter, we had two legs of power supplying the machine, each producing around 101-103 volts. In total making 202-206 volts (Razorweld cut45 is 230V +/-15%) which is still within range.
What my father and I have done to try and resolve this problem, is take each 100v leg and connected them to a voltage transformer that converts 100v power to 120v. After doing this we now have a power supply of 240v running to the Cut45 plasma cutter. Every piece we cut after this came out flawlessly, and were immediately able to start making parts downloaded off of fireshare.

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this post giving suggestions and sharing their knowledge helping me to troubleshoot my problems. This is truly one of the most informative and helpful forums I have seen. Everyone has been very helpful since the day I posted my topic till the day its been resolved.
A very very big thankyou to @Phillipw
He has personally messaged me for weeks guiding me and giving out suggestions as to what could be the problem, and even sent me out some consumables through the mail to rule that out. I appreciate the time you have taken to help me through this very frustrating situation! :beers:

10 Likes

It is good to hear you got this figured out! Thank you for posting the fix as it will help others.
I will mark this Solved

1 Like