Cutting painted metal?

Anyone have any experience and pictures of cutting painted metals like kynar 500? I’m assuming it cuts but ruins the finish next to the cut from he heat. I just have access to plenty of the kynar 500 and was wondering. I’m still waiting for my table and will defiantly try this out when I do.

I have never tried it but I bet it will be a smoky mess

I cut a test header flange out of epoxy painted 3/16 steel I had laying around, didn’t burn up. Don’t know till you try a cut? Lots of smoke though when cutting.

3 Likes

Seem like I remember someone saying they was going to the scrap yard and getting washer and dryer panels. The only down fall is the smoke and stripping the paint to refinish. Be sure to wear a respirator and use good ventilation.

2 Likes

I had a neighbor who needed some plates to cover an over larger Heating Register. He had this panel from an old appliance and, other than using a sanding disk to clear a spot for the work clamp to connect, it cut fine. Don’t know about smoke, my table is well ventilated but the cut was perfect, Happy Neighbor.

3 Likes

I’ve been running a lot of my practice pieces on 22 and 24ga kynar drop and it actually cuts very clean. I believe this was cut out of MS 24ga mistique plus

gotta bare some metal for the clamp though. It doesn’t always ground well through the paint

3 Likes

I see it very doable for sure. If you don’t mind cleanup it is a cheap route.

1 Like

This is very helpful! I’m pretty excited to start making stuff. I actually ordered the crossfire but am trying to get my order changed to a pro. Hopefully they will.

2 Likes

Protect yourself and others from toxins

1 Like