Cutting openings in tubes

Has anyone ever cut openings in tube steel? I need to cut rectangular openings in 1" ID (1.25" OD) Black pipe/tube. I was thinking the THC may allow for this. I was thinking of building a simple jig to hold the pipe.

Am I crazy?

Welcome to The Forum @DougStrong

You are not crazy! people do cut profile on a plasma table.

The two main challenges to overcome.

Having enough z axis height to retract between cuts.

Proper indexing of the profile so the cuts end up in the correct places.

1 Like

is there a jig that others have used to hold the metal securely?

I would hate to reinvent the wheel

There’s a few of them on fireshare.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare/search?q=Index

@Richarddbeck83 has a good plan on his website as well.

2 Likes

@DougStrong

Not sure if what you’re trying for a “one-off” type solution, or planning to produce pieces long term, but you may want to take a look at the following video for ideas. I could see making a small, stand alone jig with it’s own motors and torch holder, and simply plug the motors into the LS control box when using. -Steve

3 Likes

This guy has great Langmuir video’s
About a year ago I made some steel logs for my fire pit. I cut random shapes in sch 40 black pipe for the fire to pass through. It was an absolute pain in the butt. But it can be done.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I may have more questions in the future but this will get me started.

Man ! that would make an awesome accessory to the crossfire
@Langmuir New product ?

Yeah…I made a “fourth” axis for my pro table and it works really well. Fourth is quotes because I unplug the X axis motor to drive it. This is a common cheap CNC technique to use a rotary axis. It is one of these https://www.amazon.com/K12-100mm-Milling-Rotational-Tailstock-Reducing/dp/B07B2RX1BK/ref=sr_1_6?crid=AHOL7D4ES2TT&keywords=cnc+fourth+axis&qid=1676314857&sprefix=fourth+axis%2Caps%2C99&sr=8-6.

I actually have this running through a nine pin A-B switch so I don’t have to plug or unplug the X axis.

I do need to reprogram the X step count in GRBL to it moves accurately for the diameter of pipe I am using. I could scale the pipe in fusion to avoid this I suppose, but GRBL changes are easy for me.

For the CAD/CAM I use fusion and define the pipe as sheet metal like this Fusion 360 - Unfolding Sheet Metal Tubing - YouTube

For longer pipes I have a 3D print with roller skate bearings that clips on the side of the table.

1 Like