when I do a nested cut of several parts the cutter will jump from one part to another cutting internal cuts. when it is all done with every internal cut it will go to the perimeter of all the parts. is there a simple way to start one part , finish that part and move to the next without remapping every single internal cut? If I have an issue halfway through a nested cut I end up with no usable pieces and a bunch of internal cuts. I’m trying to get the most out of sheets of steel, because of all the odd shapes I would have a lot of scrap if I cut one part at a time and tried to nest in to a already cut space. I’m using Sheet Cam for post processing.
Sounds like a CAM issue.
You say you nested these items, but how?
If the part is the same, and the shape allows it to stack closely with itself, the pattern feature in Firecontrol works great for that.
If you nested it in your CAD/CAM, then you need to look at how you set up your cut paths/order.
Without this information, it’s anyone’s guess.
But the pattern method via Firecontrol has worked well for me because it basically duplicates the g-code operation multiple times over.
For example, you cut the letter B out and you decide to pattern it. The single letter g-code will consist of cutting out the inner parts, then the outer part as the entire operation. Using the pattern function means it will do this same operation multiple times over, with each item a set distance away from the next one and so forth.
Oops looks like you edited your post to add that you’re using Sheetcam. Maybe someone that uses it will help.
I use Fusion.
On the jet cutting operation screen, click on the “cut path” tab at the top. There are a few cutting rules to choose from and “all inside first” is the default. I haven’t tried any of the others to see what they do, so you might have to experiment until you get the tool paths you are looking for. You can also manually optimize the cut order.
This is interesting I will have to play with this some. My table is modified to 48x36 I use sheet cam to nest out the 2x4 washers I make in that cutting window. Sheet cam always completed one washer before starting the second. I believe I have the reduce thermal distortion checked. I will look later this afternoon.
Do like Kiwk said, load one part in fire control and make a pattern that way it will cut everything on one part before moving to the next.
@68Chevynut I have the older version of sheet cam and honestly never updated either because I like the way it works. So I started a operation with multiple parts with several different settings that @ds690 mentioned they always cut one part completely then moved to the next. This must be something with the newer version.
Can you create a job file with a example and post it so we can look at it.
Maybe nesting isn’t the correct term. I’m taking different files and grouping them together to make the most of my material,but when I cut, if I have an issue I can’t resolve I have a bunch of inner cuts and no whole parts.
That is what I did as well. I took multiple sketches that I had and arranged them. It is nesting in a way. It worked as it should for me. Create a job where this is happening then save it as a job file and post here. We can look at it in detail.
I may be doing this wrong. I have a Torchmate table at work so I use Torchmate cad for drawing, the software I use I group different files together, put a tool path to it and export as a dxf all from tm cad/cam. When I am using the crossfire pro, I group files together, save it and open it in sheet cam ,run the post processor, save the file and open it in FireControl.
@Phillipw do you bring them into sheet cam one at a time or are they one file to sheet cam?
That is your problem. You can start a job then add a drawing move it to where you want. You will then create a jet operation for each drawing you use. It will work right there
When you add drawing it will most often put the new one overlaying the original. Go to nesting mode and you can move it rotate and do as needed.
Thanks for the advice. I give it a try later when I get home.
@68Chevynut With the extra details I was able to recreate your situation. A fix for sketches you already have when doing the jet operation select the cut path tab that @ds690 pointed out and select the keep parts together. I normally keep mine on minimize thermal distortion. This should fix you issue.
thanks everyone for the help. Phillipw that was the issue. when i brought them into sheet cam individually it will cut them individually.
The way you did it isn’t"wrong”. There is a work around if you would rather nest in the other software. It is just the way sheet cam sees a drawing.
I just remembered another work around that I have used before. If you find yourself in the same position as @68Chevynut or you drew multiple parts and find you need to move them around for a better nest. Right click on the part name and select break up manually nested drawing. I have used this with nested drawings others have done that needed modified. You will probably have to create a operation for each piece.

