Cutting issue torch firing intermittently

So can any one help me! I have the razorweld 45x I’m having an issue where the machine will be cutting a piece and at the start of the path the torch won’t light Only sometimes and it will continue the path with the torch off just air blowing out. Then when it starts a new path it sometimes will turn on and cut. Now I’m just wasting lots of metal! I installed new electrode and tip and put in an expensive air dryer/filter just in case the moisture was affecting it. I turned the air pressure up and down on the plasma cutter and moved the ground around multiple times still same result . It’s driving me crazy I Dont Know what to do at this point. Also it’s like a month old. I contacted Langmuir but there like impossible to in touch with.
Thanks

I’ve found that tightening the retaining cap too tight can cause the issue you are describing. Try just snugging it down and see if the issue improves.

1 Like

Did you ever find out what your issue was. I am having a similar problem. Have dry air, good ground, and new consumables. I run a program and some of the cuts and clean, and others it does not pierce, just cuts partially through. Random as all. Some cuts start great, but 1/2 way through stop going clean through. Others I get a good pierce, but then just a top burn on the metal. Just playing with 18 ga at this point.

Sound like you need more air pressure. You need 100 to 120 psi coming to the plasma cutter and the cutter set at 75 psi that is what the Razorweld 45 seems to like.

1 Like

Have 120 on the line and Razor looks like 73-75. Dry air. Just cleaned torch and tried a quick circle. With THC on wouldn’t even pierce, just gives error. Turned THC off and got this cut.

Your work clamp is firmly attached to the material?

What cut height are you using and what Pierce delay are you using?

Could you set up a camera on the pressure gauge of the plasma and verify that you’re maintaining your air pressure during the cut.

2 Likes

Good morning
I’m not sure if this solved my problem but I took the advice of loosening the torch screws a bit and than I took a file to my ground clamp until bright copper on both contacts were visible. I was back to 100% cuts. Consumables were new as well. before hand I was experiencing only the first cut of 5 fired than traveled to other cut paths but did not fire. Hope this helps.

2 Likes