Cutter stops after cutting holes, won't do the outside of part

Razorcut 45 set to 30
22 ga steel

Cuts the holes fine, starts the profile and torch stops firing, air flows, XY movement continues. Trigger won’t fire manually. I’ve tried lower air pressure, slower speed, ground on material directly, two shots of tequila…

I’m stuck!

May have it fixed. Switched to whiskey and then found corrosion on the ground clamp. Cleaned it and scuffed the material and clamped directly onto material. Completed the profile cut!

1 Like

Damn… I don’t drink and my crossfires not here yet. what brand whisky do I need before it gets here?

3 Likes

Well I spoke too soon. It’s doing it again. Starts a hole, quits part way thru. Starts a second hole, quits part way thru. grrrrr

Try to speed up your cut.

Maybe post your settings and material too. Not that I would be much help yet

I’m cutting .075 stainless

Pierce 1.0
Speed 20

Replaced consumables with new from Hobart

Still fails

Hobart don’t sell consumables for the Razorweld 45. I still think your cutting to slow

Agree. I’d be using the .8mm tip, 30A and 80ipm. Actually, with the RW45, I’d probably be going 45A and 100ipm to start. No need for lower amps unless using the .6mm tip for fine cuts. Higher amps with the right tip means faster cuts.

At 20ipm it is likely blowing out the arc.

Pierce delay can be halved as well.

Right, sorry. They are Klutch from Northern Tool. I looked at the Hobart stuff right next to it. Not sure what size these are. Item #48326

looks like thats the part number for the electrode?

yes, nozzle is 48235

48325? seems like they are keeping the size a secret. the photo in the catalog listing has one of the tips marked 0.8

It is marked “S30-S45 .8” on the nozzle

Would you be cutting at those settings on the .075 stainless?

You need to use the right consumables as the torch you have is not a S45. 0.8mm is the 30 amp tips. If you plan on using the S45 consumables you need to get the right swirl ring ebay number 173702219697

These are the consumables you need to be using ebay number 183831579043 along with this swirl ring ebay number 183740136337

Got it, thanks! I will check them out

Yes. Although if I used the 45A settings I’d step up to the 1mm tip.

As a rule of thumb I use the .6mm up to 25A, .8mm for up to 30A and the 1mm for up to 45A.

You can use a higher capacity tip for lower power but overpowering a smaller tip will burn them out faster. So you can use a 1mm tip on any setting but the .6mm needs to be 25A & below. The disadvantage of using a larger tip than its rated power is a larger kerf. For a lot of cuts that’s not an issue but for fine details in art projects it might be.

1 Like