Cut Quality on 16 Gauge Signs with XR

Would love to see some pics of people cutting artwork with the XR, I am beyond frustrated and feel I have tried everything, to get better cuts… Here is a sign I just did, and you can see the cuts are very poor in my opinion. Any help would be appreciated, and would love to see some close up work of some intricate stuff you have done.

Hypertherm Powermax 45
Cut Amperage 37
Volts 73
Cut Speed 130IPM
Fine Cut Consumables

Kerf set at .036 in Fusion 360
Smoothing at .004
Lead In at .08 (that is the most I can do in the small areas)
Lead out at .04 (that is the most I can do in the small areas)

What is the width of this sign? If the width is around 18-24" then i would say these cuts look good for CNC plasma. Its hard to know without getting reference to the size of these features.

I am seeing opportunities to clean up some of the lead in and lead outs.

While we support Fusion 360, its tough to beat the toolpaths generated by Sheetcam for art work. Our experience is that especially for complex curves (splines commonly found in artwork), sheetcam produces much cleaner and smoother running code. This translates to smoother machine motion and better cutting performance.

3 Likes

its about 12" tall x 18" wide. I did buy a sheetcam license when I bought the machine, I am going to work on some cuts in sheetcam over this weekend, to see what I get.

Yes at 18" wide i would call the cut quality you are achieving pretty decent. There’s of course limitations to cut quality with CNC plasma, especially when doing the fine work.

I think going to sheetcam is a good move for you, you may see some improvement.

1 Like

I would try 30/32 amps and 150, may help with smoothing my not melting ecess material disclaimer, no idea how fine consumables work compared to coarse…other than finer kerf :stuck_out_tongue:

I think you will be hard pressed to get much better with plasma. If you want better, you may need to jump to laser.

I just got the XR. In about a week I will let you know how well it cuts and if any software problems. Any problems at all and away goes the Langmuir software. I was at centroid which is 30 miles from me and yesterday they released there Acorn with Plasma and THC which is Optically Separated from the rest of the control system. They put a quick 16 minute video out yesterday. They were using a Hypertherm 60 and the cuts were unbelievable. Almost no dross and the best was they cut a design out which is in the video on a corrugated sheet. I hope the XR cuts good. If not a quick changeover in about 5 hrs.