Cut Quality and Holes

Ive been running the machine a bit, and struggling with hole quality on small holes. I think this is because of cut settings (ipm, power, height), but would love some advice. Current settings are based on the spread sheet for the Razor Plasma cutter, 40 amps, 65 IPM material is .120" thick
here is a picture of the top of the cut:

Picture of the bottom of the cut:

Thanks for your help!

what is the setting you are using?

edited to include cut settings

what is your air pressure set up? how small are those hole? plasma does not cut the best quality small holes.

what cad cam are u using? i have mine set up to start in the center of holes smaller than one inch. it helps get things started better.

75 psi, which is recommended, no air drier though eventually ill get one. holes are about .2" diameter

is that 75 while cutting?

i would advise you to at least start with a bead drier will make so much difference.

how much cutting have you done with this consumable set?

1 Like

not a ton, but i can see about changing out the plasma tip

changing consumables improved quality a fare bit as well as bumping up the PSI so nominal psi while cutting is 75

2 Likes

Moisture will trash consumables very fast.

here are some basic tips…

• make sure you have a lead-in and lead out of circles if you can fit them…
  • holes need to be cut in a counterclockwise direction
  • holes need to be at least half speed of the rest of the cut speed

those are some basic start points

1 Like

I will try these things, thanks

Do you lead out back into the empty hole? I get a little notch often inside my holes (insert dirty joke here). Maybe that’s the spot where the pierce ends?
I’m suddenly getting sloppy holes (insert joke) so I think it might be time to re-align and tighten the gantry. Seems like these machines need quite regular adjustments.

yup…lead in and lead out for every cut

2 Likes

How did you come out on this? were you able to improve the quality of the holes? and if so what helped?

I will say a .2 Diameter hole is going to be tough to do with plasma.

1 Like

That was a 2” diameter hole. If it can’t cut that it’s useless.

I was going by what he said here, I didn’t read any further.
Oh and sorry I replied to the wrong person.

@Jack How did you come out on this? were you able to improve the quality of the holes? and if so what helped?
Were the holes 2" or .2"