Cut aluminum with Hypertherm finecut consumables?

Wondering about this. The Hypertherm 45XP cut charts only list settings for regular consumables for aluminum. Anyone tried finecut on aluminum? any difference? better? worse? If better, what were your changes from the book regular settings? (Keep meaning to run some tests but the “day job” gets in the way.)

The finecuts do work with aluminum but the problem comes when aluminum starts to plug the the small orifice of the finecuts. I believe this is the reason they do not list it it the cut charts because the build up and clogs makes it somewhat unreliable. I had good luck with the standard consumables, you may also use the 45amps unshielded charts from the Hypertherm Powermax 85 which may give you a slightly smaller kerf.

What kind of project requires a -5% to -15% less kerf width compared to standard shielded consumables? you also a take a -50%-100% reduction in speed. Are you having issues will definition?

2 Likes

Thanks TW! It’s just that we always want to reach for the best quality, etc. I’m getting OK results off book settings but, you know us plasma junkies. The “brain” such as it is, looks at the charts and says “Why no finecut settings?” Thanks again!

1 Like