Custom water pan?

So i took delivery of my new XR and while assembling i found some damaged parts. most notably the inside water pans had a nasty dent on the joint edge which would defiantly not seal up. While I am frustrated over this issue, Langmuir is working with me and I am happy with their customer service. They have offered me a credit if I want to just try and pound out the dent and use it with the reassurance that they will still send me new water pans if that doesn’t work. Im not an expert in forming sheet metal but i think i have an idea about the simplest way to get this dent out and back to its original shape. We will see.

This got me thinking about an opportunity to build a custom water pan for my machine which isnt prohibitively expensive. I would build it out of 1/8" material and I think there is a little room to make the pan a little wider without hitting the gantry especialy if i use a thinner rim around the outside. i have seen complaints about the water splashing out and maybe i could mitigate that. I can add my drains where I want and eliminate joints. etc, etc, etc.

Then I think maybe I am wasting my time on this. Just pound out the dent, put it together and move on. I am seeking thoughts from this community because I have never run one of these machines before and am only guessing on the pros and cons. I cannot get back to assembly till Thursday anyway so I thought I would ask you all in the meantime.

The water pan in my opinion is not amazing. Its thinner than expected and their is a little deformation from manufacturing. I also recognize that it fits the price point, it only has to hold water and overall, Langmuir seems to have spent money on the things that i would want them to over the water pan.

So, worth the effort or don’t waste my time?

I’d say work out the dent and move on for now. If you decide it’s not for your liking build a new table later. After using it you might get other ideas on how you’d prefer to build it differently.
Just my opinion.

2 Likes

That is sound advice. I did a search on the forum for water pans and didn’t find anyone really talking about making a new water pan so i guess its not really a concern on anyone’s mind.

I agree with @RCDWELDFAB85.

Besides, Langmuir is offering a great “out” if things don’t work.

I believe water pans are now shipped with this product:
Sealant

If you do use this product according to instructions: It will not leak.

You will find lots of other reasons to use metal that you buy other than re-making the water pan.

2 Likes

That was not the sealant they sent me but the stuff i got was pretty good stuff I think.

I appreciate the feedback. I now have the table running and i will probably never mess with the water pan again. I still don’t think it’s the crowning jewel of the table but it’s adequate enough that i probably won’t waste any steel making another one.

2 Likes

Good to know. It seemed that a member responded to my suggestion (about 9 months ago) that they received this sealant. I will not assume it is a regular item.

I think that is an accurate assessment. In either case, in a year or two from now that water bed won’t even be a blip in you concerns when cutting metal.

1 Like