Crossfire XR Z-axis stuck?

Fairly new to CNC machines so I’m not quite sure about all the preventative Maintenace I’m supposed to do-- often clean my bearings and ball screws with break clean to remove debris, lubing after. Out of nowhere my Z-axis is all jammed up and I really cant place the issue-- it doesn’t effect cutting as it jams right above my cut heights but I can’t raise the torch up in the machine for safe jogging over warped skeletons.

Coupler is stripped out. A good cleaning is very much in order.

3 Likes

Any other parts I should go ahead and replace while I’m at it?

1 Like

Just clean it real well with WD40 or something like that. Then clean it with brakekleen and re-lubricant it.
They have couplers on their new store page.
IHS Contact Switch Components Swap Guide.pdf (7.1 MB)

2 Likes

any recs on particular lubricants? Might as well try something new while I’m deep cleaning!

This guide will show you how to proceed on disassembly if it is required. That’s the worst I have ever saw.

This needs attention also.
3 in 1 oil ?

2 Likes

It seems as if Brakleen wouldn’t be good for the Lubricant in the bearings. But I’ve never used it so :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

You can see the motor coupler spinning and the lead screw isn’t turning with it. That is what connects the stepper motor shaft to the lead screw. You can try tightening the pinch bolts on that coupler, before replacing it.

5 Likes

@TomWS Right. Brakekleen, just clean up the residue and blow it clean. Light hydrocarbons will evaporate in seconds. Those bearings need to be checked also. You might just need new ones. If I remember correctly, they are two different sizes.

2 Likes

Oh shit yup never seen that before-- haven’t had any issues yet but walking over to the table right now to fix it