Crossfire XR Z axis lifting during cut then shut off

Starting using 5 days ago. No real problems outside of operator error, but all of the sudden my torch would stop cutting through the metal then would blow out and stop. After investigating I found that my torch Z axis would start lifting away from the material then shut off. Please help. Thank you

Sticky IHS switch maybe getting triggered mid cut, raising it up.

Or

Bad Voltage measurement for THC because of Bad consumables or loose wiring.

Or

Incorrect nominal voltage entered in firecontrol. Enter correct nominal or switch to smart voltage.

Or

Incorrect cut used while generating toolpath. Too high.

Start checking these reasons out.

1 Like

Thank you, these reasons all make since. Question’s:

1. Smart voltage is turned on, but I am cutting 16ga which is states smart voltage on used for 14ga+, could this be the issue?
  2. Would an incorrect toolpath present itself halfway through a straight cut line, i.e. like a stripe of the American Flag for example?

Just trying to rule out / reign the possible obvious like settings. It has happened trying to cut the same file two separate times but in different places. 1st time halfway through the cut and the 2nd time 3/4. The second time, after some researching, I retry the cut from failed location with THC off and then once it got a little passed the area where the cut originally failed, I turned THC back on while cutting then it happened again just shy of completing the file.

I know this is a lot and hope it makes since. Thank you so very much for your input/expertise. I am truly appreciative.

is your Air keeping up to the plasma torch?

You should be fine

unlikely sounds like a air issue ?

can you post a picture of your consumables ?

did you pass your THC test?

which plasma are you using and how is the voltage hook up ? Raw or Divided ?

Have any wires or cable been moved?? My pro will do some wacky voodoo crap if my USB cable even swings close to one of the table legs.

Well, I am trying a new cut after finding that the THC contact that is fixed to the Z Axis torch mount was protruding into the Z Axis lead screw. I could manually raise the Z Axis and lower with the tab staying in the threads of the lead screw. Focusing my attention first on the “Sticky IHS switch maybe getting triggered mid cut, raising it up” led me to check the Z Axis hardware first.

I am under the assumption that with the contact stuck in the lead screw thread is what is making the Z Axis climb messing with the voltage.

Processing: 35B5281F-1D51-430F-A390-9705565C3618.jpeg…Well, I am trying a new cut after finding that the THC contact that is fixed to the Z Axis torch mount was protruding into the Z Axis lead screw. I could manually raise the Z Axis and lower with the tab staying in the threads of the lead screw. Focusing my attention first on the “Sticky IHS switch maybe getting triggered mid cut, raising it up” led me to check the Z Axis hardware first.

I am under the assumption that with the contact stuck in the lead screw thread is what is making the Z Axis climb messing with the voltage.

3 Likes

@langmuir-reilly @langmuirsystems
@langmuir-aksel

Check out the OP’s pictures of the IHS contact

2 Likes

That’s not cool

Well, that was the problem no doubt, cut flawlessly on the same file I tried twice yesterday. Thank you guys for all of the help and suggestions.

2 Likes

Thank you for posting pictures of what you found. That brass piece that is contacting the Z-axis lead screw is very soft and malleable, and it should be bent upward such that it wraps around the plastic lifter switch plate. It sounds like you might have already done that, is the Z-axis working as expected now?