Crossfire Pro losing position

Have had a a problem starting to develop on my Crossfire Pro where the machine will start loosing position during a cut. I’ve noticed that stepper motors start acting goofy and seem to “get confused” and I have to power down the machine to be able to move the machine again. It’s happened on all 3 axis, it run fine on the first part on a proven program, but will act up when cutting the next part. Tried a few different laptops and redownloading Firecontrol, still acts up. Have tore the machine apart to make sure everything isn’t binding and it it set up correctly, I’m almost certain the problem is in the control board. Is it common for the board to go bad with not much run time on the machine? Any help would be greatly appreciated as I’m frustrated scraping parts.

1 Like

@ThatCrazyDutch Welcome to the Forum

Have you checked the voltage coming out of the power supply? I believe it’s supposed to be 36 volts less than 36 volts may cause issues.

3 Likes

Here is a link that serves well to check into what Tin suggested:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forums!

Tin and Jim have some great advice here. When performing the voltage check you could also take note of which lights you do and/or do not have present on the control board, power supply, and step drivers.

We’re also available to help at support@langmuirsystems.com if needed!

4 Likes

Just checked the power supply and is measuring at 36 volts. Any other suggestions?

Check your motor plugs for burnt spots. Also make sure they are plugged in good. Be sure power is off on control box when wiggling the plugs.

Is this one of those “Don’t ask me why I say that?” :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :joy:

But yes, that is a good ‘next’ step to check.

Another member was losing steps with some EMI issues.

Check all of the couplers to the lead screws: hopefully, it is this simple vs. the EMI issue.

1. use a marker to mark the coupler and the lead screw everywhere there are couplers. You could make it more obvious with some masking tape and marker.
  2. Now move the torch around the table to all four corners.
  3. Check and see if all of your marks still line up. Repeat and check again.
3 Likes

Yes it was🥴. Had to replace plug on motor and the plug in the control box also .

1 Like

Ouch! But the good news is you have saved countless others from doing the same. So it turned out to be “GOOD” that you did that experiment for us! :wink: :joy:

1 Like

I’ve checked all connections and no bad plugs, I’ve checked lead screws.

Contact langmuir it could be a bad MCB.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve thinking, hopefully they aren’t too expensive…

Keep us posted. The fact that you’ve already had a Langmuir person check in on this thread means they really want to help you get cutting again.

You have probably already done it but send a message to support@langmuirsystems.com

2 Likes

New control board has solved the problem of loosing position, but now I have a new problem with the machine disconnecting during a program. Has anyone experienced the USB cable going bad?

Unplug the laptop. And try again. It is plugged into the charger in the picture. When you installed the board did you make sure it is not touching the control box in anyway? Does the table pass the ohms test since you worked on it?

3 Likes

1 Like

Noticed after posting the data port is touching and didn’t realize when installing, I’m a dumb dumb lol. Thanks everyone for your advice and support, it’s much appreciated!

3 Likes