Crossfire cutting badly warped cold rolled 22ga flawlessly

In case you missed this, here is a crossfire cutting 22ga flawlessly with a THC. youtube link.

2 Likes

Nice work! After cutting a few things, I’m thinking of going your route with the proximity sensors instead of floating Z axis probing. I’ve noticed on some thinner metals, the z axis will push down the material till it hits the slats, then go up from there, which really isn’t telling it where the surface actually is once it springs back up! Might hit you up if I can’t figure it out.

Ok thanks, that was the reason I didn’t go with the floating head. I also thought about using the ohmic sensor but the metal needs to be clean and it still puts pressure on the material until it gets a reading. So I went with proximity.

could you use one capacitive prox along with the inductive for non ferric metals? You can spend a lot on sensors…

Yes you can, these inductive sensors do work on aluminium at a reduced range.
The problem with capacitive sensors is the water table, water splashed around would confuse the sensor. Dry tables would be ok, although they aren’t as reliable as inductive. We had a 3D printer with capacitive sensors and it was inconsistent, we switched to inductive and it made a world of difference. The 3D printer has an aluminum table. The sensor I chose is the same one we use in the printer.

How do I get one of these?

How did you setup your probe distance? I’ll be doing mine shortly, I hope!

Gnixon, get one of these, do you mean the z axis or the sensor setup? It’s something you have to build, unless you are talking about the parts.

Dickey, I made a YouTube video called probe setup. I show you how I do it in the video. The link is in this video.

2 Likes

The whole setup. I guess you answered that. I have to build it.

Gnixon, I built this setup and I am giving away my design to everyone that wants to build it. Most of the parts are off the shelf. I have 14 YouTube videos linked to this video to show you how to build it and set it up. I am currently setting up to make the parts that aren’t of the shelf.
Tooljunkie…

2 Likes

Definitely looking hard at doing this!!

What’s the ballpark cost of the parts for this z axis addition?

It’s about $500 depends on the THC you use too. you can check the parts list video for part pricing, its liked in this video.

Here is a demo video on some sensors that work on all metals at the same distance. Joshua Zimmeman found these. https://youtu.be/9HZsRRleJug

1 Like