Creating Tool Library for different stocks

Newbie here…While using Hypertherm’s Powermax45 recommended cut settings in the tool library, there is no provision for " torch to work" and " initial pierce height" to use the “edge start” setting in the steel 5/8" to 1" category. So the initial start would place the torch above the work unless I’m reading this wrong. Is there a work around for this?

That is some serious cutting. You could use the edge as your start by leaving a small gap with a scrap piece of metal. This would allow the IHS to touch down, back off and calibrate. You are right that it would put the torch above if you set the initial pierce height at something other than your cut height. You can change the initial pierce height as you see fit. You just want to make sure that the torch is fully engaged by the time it is cutting the metal.

You might set the initial pierce height same as cut height but increase your pierce delay to give the torch the extra time. Perhaps 1.0 to 1.1 seconds. You would have a better idea based on what you usually need to set for your pierce delay.

Others, with experience and more knowledge on this topic will be along shortly.

Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

When we were edge starting, I would position the center of the tip just off the edge, but where it could still make contact with the plate. Set Pierce Height to Cut Height (.06" in my case.) I used less Pierce Delay, as there was nothing to pierce. After the delay, the cut moved onto the plate and went nicely.

As a note, we have since moved onto Ramp and Wiggle pierces with good results. These have allowed us to pierce material that the Cut Chart states edge start.

2 Likes

You “SheetCAM” guys always get the best tools first, don’t you!!! :rofl:

I guess a “work-around” in Fusion may be to do a micro cut on the edge with the edge of the torch barely on metal but the “stream” off the edge and then to make a sweep or abrupt 90 degree turn into the metal.

2 Likes