Continuity Issue

One more possibility is metal dust/particles on the IHS switch contacts. Build up of that stuff can cause the THC to report voltage up to around 3-4 volts. Keep that area blown off with compressed air.

i just checked there is no dust particles on IHS switch contacts, this machine is brand new. Ive run the break in program but havent tried firing the torch yet until i get zero continuity

Unplug all the connections including the 120v power and check continuity. So just the control box to frame.

If you don’t have continuity. Then plugin each connection one at a time and check continuity. Leave 120 v power for last.

1 Like

If you do have continuity between the control box and frame, than your bushing is the culprit.

2 Likes

Alright i did as explained. with nothing plugged in there was no continuity. I first plugged in my IHS tested for continuity and there was none, then i plugged in my THC and then i had 3-4 volts appear again

I get with Langmuir on Monday morning.
At least you know what it is now.

1 Like

What happens if you unplug the THC plug from back of plasma cutter?

Alright i unplugged it from the back of plasma and it had zero continuity, but if i have the laptop plugged in it jumps all over the place from 3 all the way to zero.

Do you have a two prong adapter? Something to eliminate the ground pin on the 120v power plug. Maybe an extension cord without ground pin?

Try this. Unplug control box from wall outlet.
Test.
Make sure laptop charger is disconnected from lap top.
Test
Leave everything else connected.Amazon.com

1 Like

Sometimes the ground system can make a ground loop. Also you are reading Ohm or continuity, not voltage right?

1 Like

Sorry for all the instructions. Ground loops are like “Voodoo”.

1 Like