Considering Purchase, what should I be aware of

I’m considering buying one of these rather than building a Plasma CNC. I like that there is a forum, and decent customer service first and foremost. I’m concerned with the 1 sided mounted cross arm however. Has anyone had any issues with it bending or not being square over time? Have you modified the other end to support it on bearings or other?

I’ve just started reading through the forum to get a better idea of what I’m in for. (not including the software,etc).
Anything else I should be aware of with this machine, hicups I need to adjust or fix?

thanks!

Take your time on set up have the videos at hand and you should be fine. im installing some cross laser hairs to my touch head so I can always have the same zero

1 Like

Being one of the first buyers, I have had my table for around 8 months now and have not had a single issue with the Table. Just make sure you invest in a decent plasma cutter.

5 Likes

May I ask what you have for a cutter? Did you go with the Razor offer when buying the table? Seems there may be some issues with the consumable tips with the Razor45?
Thanks!

1 Like

BEWARE : it is very addictive.

4 Likes

With Plasma there’s no real cutting force applied to the torch (unless you crash it) so the single arm design isn’t a problem. I’ve had my unit since October. I find that I look at projects now and say I can cut that in 5mins, It’s the first op for a lot of my projects before they head to the mill or hand finishing. As oneup says the cutter is the key, The table works well but if your cutter is fighting you it’s no fun to use.
For me it was a great purchase.

1 Like

I had the razorweld 45 and never got a single cut out of the thing without a issue. After 6 months of troubleshooting I bought the Everlast 50s and have used the piss out of it without 1 single hiccup.

1 Like

Got mine last fall and havnt had any problems.Dont cheap out on the plasma.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face: And I had the opposite experience (until I get down to 28ga thin stuff - can’t keep the arc but I expect I just need to play with it more as I think it’s a speed & power issue of too little of the first and too much of the latter).

I think a lot of it is individualized. But it seems the higher priced cutters tend to have fewer reports of issues here which could mean either they’re more reliable in terms of use or there just aren’t as many of them in use.

It’s hard to generalize except maybe that a $2K Hypertherm Powermax is likely a guaranteed workable combination with the Crossfire. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have had problems with the razor weld since day 1.they suggested it in the presell ordering, so I bought it. Big mistake I’ve spend so much on consumables and shipping the unit back and forth for repairs I could of bought a hypertherm to begin with. So now I just shipped the razor weld back to langmuir as they assured me if I’m still not happy with it they would refund me for it.

1 Like

They have no way to talk with a support person, want to do it with emails, I don’t know if I will ever get the software to work. If I could speak with someone I could probably solve the issues quickly, Buyer beware…

That’s definitely not true. The way that our technical support works is that if you have an issue, you open up a support request ticket by sending an email to support@langmuirsystems.com. If the nature of the issue rises to the level of needing a phone call, we set up a phone appointment and call you.

To be truthful, we usually reserve phone support to machine specific issues since we manufacture the machine and we stand by our product. The various pieces of software are not our product, so we usually point people to the tutorials or to specific threads on this forum when people come to us asking for questions about how to use the software. Offering software education over the phone would undeniably increase the cost of the machine and our goal is to make CNC plasma cutting as affordable as possible.

3 Likes

If I can’t get any support can I send the machine back for a refund. It will never work if I can’t get the software to operate it.

You can return your machine in accordance with the return policy that is posted in the user guide.

For what its worth, I see in our system that you sent one email to support@langmuirsystems.com and it was responded to by one of our team members 7 minutes later.

4 Likes

That’s true. But it’s like asking the car dealer to take your car back if you can’t pass the driver’s test to get a license.

Google “Makerspace near me” and see if you can find one. They should have people who can help you get over the software hurdle. Fusion 360 and Mach 3 are pretty common in the CNC world. They may not have a plasma a but the principles are the same and the software is widely used.

1 Like

I have the Razor weld 45 and have had issue after issue with the consumables. If i am cutting a lot in a day, I go thru at least 1 tip and electrode. Wish i had a Hypotherm myself.

I have had a totally different experience with support, Any email or other methods have been answered very prompt. I have been having mechanical issues with my crossfire and Daniel has went beyond what i would ever have expected. On a scale of 1-10 , 10 being the highest rating, I would give them a 11 for there efforts and help with my issues. I havnt felt put off or swept aside once. Daniel is awsome at his job. I hate that your exxperience isnt the best.

1 Like

EM3D,
I bought the plasma cutter( Razorweld 45) and the table package. one thing that came to my surprise was that you have to open up the plasma cutter they sell you, then find cables that operate the firing mechanism of the plasma cutter then splice into them with cables that connect to the electronic enclosure. They give you a big Warning saying that by doing so, you can void the manufacturer’s Warranty. The best part of all this is that they don’t have a video tutorial showing you how to do this. They give you a generic vague explanation since they don’t know which plasma cutter you will use. I’ve had my Razorweld 45 and Table since October of Last year and do to military service and missing parts and broken parts I haven’t yet completed this build. I will say they have been Johnny on the spot on helping me with sending replacement parts but after finding out today that I have to splice into the plasma cutter especially the same one everyone in the forum seems to hate, I am now reluctant to do so. Also it says that if you are not comfortable doing the splicing to essentially hire a professional. I wish they would have just gone with a plasma cutter that has a CNC port. I haven’t kept up on how fast they are turning around their orders but it took them 7 months to fulfill my order, which if you look at the Razorweld warranty they give you 3 years from the time of Purchase, but since I got it 7 months later not sure if that means i have 2 years 5 months left on that warranty. Still haven’t even fired it up. Good question to ask is if the table is compatible with a CNC ready plasma cutter.

Hi there,

The Razorweld 45 warranty begins the day that you receive the plasma cutter (not the day that it was purchased). Additionally, the Razorweld 45 warranty does NOT become void when you splice into the wires. We are working with Razorweld to offer a CNC compatible version of the 45 in the future but thats a ways off.

Regarding lead time, when we firt started as a company the lead times were very long. Due to a lot of hard work behind the scenes, we have gotten the lead times down to 1-3 business days! I’d guess by next week we will be offering same day shipping Monday through Friday.

4 Likes

Not everyone. Many folks are successfully using the Razorweld plasmas. The Google setting sheet we created for the Razorweld gets a fair number of views so people are using that information to help setup their projects.

There have been folks with issues who couldn’t make them work or whose use cases made alternative cutters better suited and switched.

Like anything else the people who aren’t having issues don’t generally post a message saying “did a project today, worked fine” and then repeat that post the next day.

In forums like this you will see all of the people who are having problems. This actually creates a negative perception bias confirmation.

All of my projects over the past 8 months have been cut using the Razorweld. I haven’t been able to cut a single thing with my Hypertherm 45. 100% vs 0%. What a failure eh?

Nope, the Powermax just needed some additional parts to setup (made a machine cable and got a set of mounts for the machine torch) so it’s been easier to knock the projects off with the Razorweld. :slightly_smiling_face:

I also need to setup a bunch of torch settings for my software so the G-Code uses the higher speeds and the split pierce vs cutting operations that Jim Colt recommended.

There isn’t a single answer for everyone and there isn’t a machine (except for incompatible high frequency machines) that won’t work for someone.