Computer, will MS Surface work?

I am Batch 1, but still waiting the wonderful day it arrives. I am an apple computer user, so I will need to get a compatible computer to run the software and CrossFire. Will a Microsoft Surface work with this software and CrossFire. The goal is to keep the size down.

1 Like

I’ve got a surface pro 3 and it runs the software just fine. I don’t think you will have any issues. I too have one coming in batch 1. I will find out soon enough though.

Looking at the specs of the Dell Inspiron 15 3000 computer they are selling as an option, I believe a Surface Pro 3 will be more than adequate, in fact you might be able to get something even cheaper that would do the job nicely. My suggestion: The Surface Pro 3 comes with an SSD built in, so if you get something cheaper, be sure to factor in the cost of a cheap SSD upgrade (A small Samsung Evo 850 would still be nice and fast. Intel makes some good SSDs as well, either of which you can get on eBay). Also consider a RAM upgrade. Make sure your processor is at least an i5. Better to have extra processing power and not need it than not have enough. The Dell is an AMD A6, so anything as good as that or better (an Intel i5 should be more than enough). Looks like those Dells are pretty cheap. RAM and a 250GB or smaller SSD wouldn’t be a large investment.

2 Likes

That is fantastic advice. Thank you so much for taking the to respond. I will be purchasing the surface pro and taking in consideration the SSD storage as suggested.

1 Like

Please let the group know what your findings are! :ok_hand:

I agree. I have a Surface Pro with an i7 chip, internal SSD (actually flash storage), add-on 256GB SD, wireless mouse (I like using a physically movable mouse when doing design vs trackpads). I checked when this question came up on this forum earlier with the full specs of the Surface Pro vs the Dell - the i7 chip outperformed the AMD by a lot.

I do a lot of design work now for CAD (Shopbot) and laser engraving/cutting. The actual execution of the generated code and driving the Crossfire control should take minimal capability - I think someone figured out you could do it with a Raspberry Pi chipset :slight_smile:

2 Likes