Complex nesting discussion

.Questioning making a master cut profile in Inventor as sheet metal flat for a 4x8 sheet of nested parts with allowance for nested parting cuts as a solid non severed part , export to .dfx then process through sheet-cam for processing. start 1 st layer burn as fully nested array . Cut all the major perimeter cuts and pierce cuts (potentially part edge radii ) then run X and Y to part the pattern on another layer eliminating dual cutting paths, making sure the lower bridging was appropriate so parts cannot tip. Thoughts on this concept ? Our laser cutter / supplier /programmer that dropped out on us said, yea but it was extra programming . :frowning_face: balance on consumables if we burn we may want to burn the sheet. least consumable run time . The concept only works for rectangular or square profiles and U have to have your shit together to execute to cut the whole sheet , or you can scrap some material, ouch.
Thoughts to inspire thoughts, peace be with you…
Ken

Ken,
I read this twice and am still lost

2 Likes

Sorry simplified thought. Rather than nest individual rectangular parts with gaps nest them tight with cut path as the gap in cad cut lines being one line to sever on a separate layer or selected layer in sheet cam. . Basically it would be one big part containing all the parts with a single cut line to part them. Cut all the holes and any corner radii on layer 1. Then select layer 2 to part off rows of parts X and Y ? Save double cutting an edge that could cut 2 parts at once? Parts may get sketchy being parted in rows and tilt unless some small retailer tabs are left to break them out but then another operation cleaning up the tabs. Seems like it may be a bad idea or need more thought . We will start simple … I would think sheet cam could be programmed to just do a straight pierce and cut line sever cut vs needing a connected profile like a loop?

The only problem with this is that plasma only has a straight cut on one side so if you part two pieces by cutting a straight line down the middle one side will be straight and the other side will be beveled. It is always best on plasma to cut out the entire shape and not share a line with other components.

2 Likes

Awesome input. We have a simple sever tool that runs with a small Miller plasma hand torch to straight cut thin sheets used it >15 years … it uses a friction drive roller and simple 12V DC variable speed small gearbox and runs on guided Item products 40x40 to sever cut sheets straight. I don’t quite understand why a straight line cut would bias a cut angle, Running a line through a sheet designed to sever as last cut parts. I am a machine head so push the limits and great discussion ! After all that, I need to figure out what the “straight cut on one side” is about may be missing something with thick plates to come . Best 2 all . Ken

Plasma-Cut-illustration-REV

Because the direction of the swirl in the plasma stream one side of the kerf has a sharper angle than the other.

2 Likes

Great help thank you !

1 Like