Cletus' Crossfire Build n Mods

Very impressive and creative!
I stop mine from overflowing with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NC6GHD
Clips onto the slat about the same general area as your sensor.

3 Likes

Yup,I looked at that one too.

1 Like

so with these float switches you can actually set this up so that the table stays at a certain water vevel by filling automatically…sweet

Hey Tom, how did you mount your THC?
Did you cut the OEM case and flush mount the display?
Is the divider board mounted at the Plasma cutter or is that also in the control cabinet.
Do I really need the proximity sensors or does the floating z axis / microswitch do a decent job?

Probably all already covered in a post somewhere :rofl:

Crap! …USPS delivered my THC to the wrong US address. Somebody probably got a nice THC at their door and saying “WTF is this thing?”

I put it in a Nema 4 enclosure, covered it here: Finally completed my CrossFire mods - #11 by TomWS

I took the THC03-02 enclosure apart (easy to do), took the guts out and mounted in the enclosure as shown in the post I referenced above. The front panel display and switches are nicely mounted on an aluminum extrusion so I kept that, but cut off the excess top and bottom with my bandsaw and then mounted it on the front panel of the Nema4 enclosure with a small rectangular cutout (for the display electronics) and fastened it to the enclosure with a custom strip of 3M VHB. Nice and tight and splashproof.

This is shown in the post.

I think the floating Z axis is fine unless you’re doing material thinner than 16Ga. This will warp and flex from the weight of the torch. I’m in the process of finalizing a “Poor man’s ‘Ohmic’ sensor” that SHOULD take care of this. We’ll see. PCB is due to arrive tomorrow. Maybe have it working by next Monday…

Thanks. I just knew I saw those answers somewhere before! I’m not handling this “old age” crap well at all :rofl:

I completely understand. I just updated that thread with the BOM and some of the drawing files for the enclosure. Finally completed my CrossFire mods

Regarding the level sensor I designed above Here’s the circuit design that works for me.

2 Likes

Is the buzzer really wired across the 12V power supply?

Yup, a little 3A power supply only for the Rule Bilege Pump. Once the switch is closed, power is supplied to the circuit and buzzer. The buzzer is to remind me to switch the damned thing off regardless of the fact the sensor has done its thing, stopping the pump. Works a peach, gone are the overflows (I think) :rofl:

1 Like

And, some very “Z things” are starting to unfold: :rofl:

1 Like

Well, I’ve decided to go with a Machine Torch from George. Begun the design for my 3D printed torch holder.

1 Like

What material will you use and do you need supports for the inside of the torch openings?

Touch base with Jeremy Goheen. He prints an excellent breakaway mount. You two could probably collaborate on some world changing design.

I am printing in PLA and I will definitely need to print this with supports. I can also print it on my new resin printer, but that is a messy beast. Have to wait for the torch, cause I’m uncertain of the necessary hole diameter. I also have some preliminary ideas for a break-away mount using this form factor.

It is 1 3/8"

1 Like

Cool, thanks George!

1 Like

Ok, sent to the printer for a long print:

2 Likes

Just a suggestion but look at ABS or PETG for a torch mount. If PLA doesn’t melt completely from the heat coming off the torch and material, it’ll quickly decompose and fail thanks to the water.