Can’t get perfect circles

Also like you said maybe the torch is just junk, maybe a hypertherm upgrade?

Where are you getting the consumables for the torch? Aftermarket parts don’t always cut as good as genuine parts. if you are going through them quickly, they are either junk or your cut height is too high.

Do you slow down for holes? Most people find that slowing down to around 60% of the normal cut speed results in better hole quality.

Check the metal bracket that holds the X axis lead nut. If the two bolts that hold the bracket to the X carriage are loose, you can lose motion when it changes direction in the X axis.

These are holes in 1/4" plate that was cut at 45 amps and 40 IPM with a Hypertherm torch on my Everlast 52i plasma cutter. Top and bottom pictures straight from the table with no clean up. It is possible to get good holes with the right setup.

4 Likes

Consumables from the Langmuir site. Only ever replaced the nozzle part and the other piece that slides out and goes behind it.

I’ll check that out. Those are the quality holes im looking for. I’ll run the same setup and post a picture. Thanks!

This is cut at 40ipm with the plasma at 45 amps. 1/4” steel.

Also found out when I turned the torch 90 deg the slant cut follows it.

When the torch was straight at its original position it cut like this with the slant on the right side of the torch

And this is slowed down to 17IPM at 45 Amps.

You are getting close with speed may go a little bit slower. It also looks like like your lead in is outside the hole. Your lead in should start inside the hole in the center on holes .5" and under. Also do a simulation cut in your software and make sure you are cutting holes CCW

1 Like

couple links to read if you haven’t already. I hate to guess at you issue because you might have a few things going on currently…

Troubleshooting plasma cutting system cut quality problems - cut angularity (hypertherm.com)

How to improve your CNC Plasma Cut Quality (tips & tricks) - Westcott Plasma™

2 Likes

My holes were cut with a slow down to 60%, so they were at 24 IPM and I started from center of the hole.

What is your cut height and how much air pressure are you running with the air flowing?

If the bevel moves with the rotation of the torch, the consumables are probably to blame. The nozzle is bad, the electrode is not centered, holes are plugged in the shield or the swirl ring is bad. Try replacing everything with genuine Hypertherm parts.

4 Likes

+1

+1

use a finishing overlap if possible too

2 Likes

Do you have the work clamp on the steel? 45 amps at 40 ipm is way to slow. Consumables good?
At 17 ipm you could cut 3/8 or thicker. What are your height settings? Pierce @ .16 cut @ .06 delay at .7

I had this exact same issue and it turn out for me that the coupler on one of the Y axis motors was slipping. I found it by putting blue tape “flap” on the lead screw and watching it when it spins. It would hesitate momentarily when the motor direction would change. I replaced all of my motor coupler with some that have set screws that engage the motor shaft.

2 Likes

Air pressure at 60psi running, I have THC, thought that keeps the height correct?

I have new nozzles and electrodes but never replaced the swirl ring or shield.

Never replaced these

Nozzles always end up looking like this.

Work clamp on steel and on table, same result.

Replace those for sure…make sure you look at the book to verify all the consumables are correct you’re currently using. Not seeing what shield your running in pics.

Increase air pressure at torch to 70-75 psi, you won’t get good cuts at 60.

1 Like

THC only keeps the height that you set in your CAM setup or the height that is required to achieve the voltage you set, if you don’t use “smart voltage”. You have to tell it what height you want it to keep.

What happened to that retaining cap? Did it catch on fire?

Start with checking your actual torch height during a cut. Make a straight line cut and pause the program after about an inch. Measure the actual height of the torch above the metal and compare that the the height that you set in CAM. Chances are good that it is way higher than you think it is. That nozzle is really blown out and cutting too high can do that.

1 Like