CAM toolpath avoiding potential tip-up collision?

I’ve seen a few videos where the air path seems to avoid pre-cut sections, presumably to prevent potential collision with tip-ups. Was this possible in fusion360? I’m new to plasma cutting (picking up my crossfire table tommorrow!), but I’ve been using fusion360 CAM for CNC mills for the last 3 years and I don’t see where I could set that up. Is it some other CAM package?

Yes it is! Look up the ‘keep nozzle down’ function in Fusion 360. Not a single part has been cut on my personal CrossFire without using a KND tool path for tip-up avoidance.

3 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow!

Was wondering what “keep nozzle down” meant. Awesome!

Use “a large value” in Daniel’s words (one of the videos) to set this - I use the 24" that he used in his video.

I’m still waiting for my THC parts to come in but I got my first cuts working today! Totally awesome machine… Anybody know if there’s a good way to tell whether fusion will cut on the inside/outside from looking at those red arrows which seem to point random directions? It was ok for simple patterns, but it was a nightmare when I had a larger pattern with complex geometry, I had to keep going back and forth from generating the toolpath and editing, and worst of all sometimes fusion refused to let me edit the arrows.

Check out a program available for free: NC corrector… Very nice Gcode editor, and loads the gcode almost instantly with visual graphics!