Calculating pricing of projects

being new to running a Plasma CNC table I’m not sure where to start. Does anyone have a formula on how to set pricing for cutting out items? Like $X per minute of machine time? The material costs are easy to figure out ie plate of steel is $Y but consumables are a little more complicated. I’m just looking for advise as I get started.

Thanks,
Bruce

1 Like

Bruce,

I suggest checking out Plasmaspider.com There are some members over there that have shared their quotation excel documents and how they go about quoting a job. I have adopted it and modified it for my cost structure.

specifically here is the thread http://plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=9565

6 Likes

The first thing i was asked when i said i ordered this table was “How much do you charge?” lol

Really its going to be a case by case basis.

How much CAD/CAM programming time is needed?
How intricate is the job?
How thick and what type is the material?
Is this job a one off, or will it be high volume, or recurring?

But i think ChuckE2009 of youtube welding fame put it best, always have a minimum charge. It prevents dreamers from wasting your time.

“No i don’t want weld your rusty muffler, four 4 hours, for $25”

or if you change it for plasma cutting…

“No i don’t want to spend 6hrs of cad time, to make a super intricate picture frame out of 3/8” stainless, for $25"

Lots of people assume a plasma table is as easy to use as an ink jet printer, you will get some ridiculous offers. Also assume you might not get paid, usually the smaller the dollars the easier it is to order an item and forget about it.

I highly suggest at $250 minimum for any metal trades work of any type.

2 Likes

Do you have to be a paying member to access the documents?

If you’re asking about the plasmaspider link & estimating spreadsheet then, yes. It’s only $20 and you can download that as well as hundreds of DXF design files. Definitely worth the money.

2 Likes