Burning up the X axis motor on a new unit. Looking for troubleshooting help

Look I’m asking for a fix on this situation. Here are the pictures of the 9 pin plug with a burnt wire. the x-axis would just shutter and not do anything. The table is new and we noticed that the screws on the 9 pin plugs and not correct from the factory. This leads to a bad or loose connection. this motor was replaced and still the same thing the table moves forward and backward but will not move left or right.
There are on 3 things that should effect this unless I’m incorrect and that is the motion control board the step module on the female 9 pin connector on the box. Now we did see that the new motor has the short/correct screw to attach the 9 pin female and male connectors together tightly. The old ones are loose and can cause shorting out issues. So what is your thought.

This topic will probably be the best place to continue with your troubleshooting.I’m going to change the title to be a somewhat more goal oriented and a little less combative.

1 Like

Understood and I agree.

Thank you.

Can you take the cover off your electronics enclosure and take a clear picture of it so we can see if the wiring is correct inside the unit

I have seen pins burn off like that before. It happened when the screws on either side of the connector prevent the connector from being fully seated. When the connector is not fully seated there’ll be a higher level of resistance on that PIN which can lead to the heating up. But since it’s happened twice in a row we should start looking deeper than that

2 Likes

Look at female plug end on control box, if has damage at that side it will continue to burn pins on the male pin end. Due to pins not fitting tight in female end.

Here are a few pictures of the wiring.

So it looks like the B- connection was the one that was burnt.

The colour code seems congruent to mine

Can you take a good picture and post it of the female side of the motor connection port.

1 Like

Plug in but do not tighten down the new X-axis motor plug to the Z axis plug just to verify that the new motor is functional. if it is then it’s most likely the female 9 pin plug on the control box is bad.

This might be why you were not getting a response from the help line.

1 Like

Well I was cut off yesterday and can only send 22 messages a day. So I could not respond to anything
being received. Sorry about that.

The factory screws on the original Langmuir cables are to long. they do not set tight correctly and looks Langmuir fixed this as the new motor I was sent have short screws now which in turn makes a tight connection.

I’m wondering whether the female connector needs to be replaced.

If the female side of b1 is burnt , it needs to be replaced.

That burnt, likely loose connection point is always going to cause arcing now.

I will check later today and see what i can find or just replace it.

Ok so we did replace the db9 pin female and the male 9pin cable with a motor and motor assembly but no luck.

Did you confirm that the motor works by connecting it to one of the Y or Z connector? If the motor is good, then it appears that the stepper motor driver is bad.

1 Like

Did you try the stepper motor on another axis to see if it would work like @ds690 suggested?