Brake,roller ideas

Hi, I was wondering what is everyone using for a break that isn’t a small fortune? Im mainly working with 16 gauge, but I do cut stuff with 1/8 (11 gauge) and 3/16 ( 7 gauge), but everything I look at, the max that it well bend is 16 gauge, I live in Newfoundland, Canada so I dont have access to harbour freight. I think princess auto is similar. just wondering if anyone bought anything that they fine good or if they made a brake themselves and finds it does the job just to give me an idea,

1 Like

Well, here is an idea if you already have a shop press. Size of metal is definitely a limitation, but at least it is a starting place for ideas. Dang, the design is so simple you might be able to create one the width of the shop press. Certainly has my design juices going.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/81492/10002/-1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9IvtmZrk7AIVKB6tBh0TcwqeEAQYBSABEgK7H_D_BwE

1 Like

yes, ive seen this and I dont have a a shop press but I think this is the cheaper route to take to get something that can bend thicker metal without breaking the bank, I was just wondering what people were using before I went out and bought something, My plan is to have a sandblaster cabinet and an area for powder coating, and an oven to bake it in and a brake and maybe a roller. I have a powder coating gun and an oven, its not hooked up yet because Im new into this. Just trying to get ideas on what I can get to make me put out better quality material.

i just bought the harbor freight 36" brake. gonna do a few mods to beef it up. figure its a start.

yeah I was looking at that one as well in princess auto version because im in Canada, but the max it does is 12 gauge, and I was looking at something that can bend thicker.

I built this one and just bent some 16 gauge on it yesterday however that was pushing it to the very limit. Been thinking about building a bigger and more capable one some day. I could email you the cad drawings if your interested. You would need to make some mods though to bend the stuff your talking about.

8 Likes

That’s amazing, very well done and put together. How thick is the metal used for making that? I use inkscape and sheetcam, I find it easier to use, but you can email the cad drawing if it isnt too much trouble. my email is shanebruce@hotmail.com.

1 Like

Would love to get the cad drawings for this. Looks great! Zimmermanmotorsports@gmail.com

Almost everything is 1/2 1018 cold rolled

Sorry for being slow with sending out the drawings. I get them sent out shortly.

I bought a “williams lowbuck lpb plate brake” back in early 2000 for less than $100. I think company went out of business but it could easily be duplicated with minimal skills. It will bend up to 5/16" easy and 1/4" with some effort.

You got a deal then, Im looking for something to bend around 2 feet of material so im just seeing what everyone else is using or would suggest that wont break the bank

I emailed the drawings this morning. If I missed anyone let me know here and I will send them out.

Thank you so much, It shows you have put a lot of effort into making it, you have a good setup with the Machinist lathe.

1 Like

Please email it to me to: formula350lt1@hotmail.com.
Very nice work mate!