Bluetooth jog control

I know some of you guys are like me and have your computer screen facing away from your table. I was getting tired of walking back and forth trying to zero out the torch on the sheet metal. Found this device on Amazon. It’s a small Bluetooth number keyboard. All you have to do is start up fire control and take your mouse and click on the zero all Axis button . The little handheld Bluetooth keyboard will now work the table XY with the arrow keys. It’ll move the torch up and down with the page up and page down.

Wireless Number Pads, Numeric… Amazon.com

4 Likes

Slick. That’s even easier than using a wireless Xbox controller since no key conversion is needed.

Man, you certainly have a lot of confidence in your bluetooth staying connected while cutting! I barely trust BT with my head phones (I would never listen to my BT headphones while cutting, for example). The fact that so many people have issues with direct wired USB is a pretty good clue that there is a lot of RFI energy floating around.

OTOH, you shouldn’t have any ground loop issues…

Let us know how the reliability is…

Seems to work well for now. Cut about ten parts out today without any problem. I’ll keep everyone posted.
And yes my ground loop / EMI system has worked perfectly since the installation. I use several bluetooth devices like a keyboard, mouse and even headphones. Hell I can even talk on the phone while cutting. Yes, the earth rod that hooks to the table and the DC positive work clamp works.https://www.hypertherm.com/Download?fileId=HYP103900&zip=False

Not sure there’s much RFI to worry about when he’s setting his work zero coordinates, which is what it seems is his primary use case.

I know I’ve never had any issues with my wireless Xbox controller, or my Bluetooth stereo setup, even when the arc is on.

2 Likes

Also, I use a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse as my main inputs for the computer that runs the machine and have never had an issue with either.

2 Likes

I have that exact keypad and haven’t had a use for it for a while now. You may have given it new life. Nice tip!

Good to know. Thanks!

I use my bluetooth headphones all the time when cutting (their built into my ear pro). Never had an issue even when I’ve left my phone in the Truck or the house. (shop’s about 60’ away from the house). And I have a noisy Cutter! (not technically approved to work on the Crossfire). for >$20 i was thinking about giving one of these a try too.

2 Likes

Well, live and burn! Thanks for the feedback!

I use an XBOX control for my jogging but as someone else sated only for setup so probably not a lot of EMI energy being kicked out.

Unrelated is an issue of not being able to adjust the jog movement by using the tab function. It will do it once then I have to go to the screen and click a different speed.

1 Like

i use
https://smile.amazon.com/EASYTONE-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Multimedia/dp/B01E3B81HU
works great

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check it out.
However, I feel compelled to tell you that you only need to include up to the amazon part number in the link, as in: https://smile.amazon.com/EASYTONE-Wireless-Keyboard-Touchpad-Multimedia/dp/B01E3B81HU

And if you have the link on a separate line, you’ll get this:

1 Like

Well it doesn’t have to stay connected during cutting just for set ups

this is the best mod I have done to the table