Bevel - perhaps taxing my plasma machine

I have a crossfire pro running a hypertherm 45xp with machine torch, I have a pretty decent bevel when cutting 3/4" metal and holes are certainly jacked up, even when running at a slower speed than suggested. Are there bevel issues with the XR with cutting metal this thick or do you think I could get a less beveled cut by upgrading my plasma. I do have an everlast powerplasma 80i that I just haven’t hooked up yet. Thanks. I know all of the typical questions like alignment, new consumables, torch height etc…I have been through all of that and troubleshooting, so my question is general and do you think it would get better with a higher powered plasma machine and or XR table. Thanks

There is many things that can cause it. What are your cut setting? Here is some 3/4 I cut with the rw45 it is possible but not perfect

Thank you I see more of a bevel on the curve than I do the straight…that is similar to mine as well.

Yeah it certainly isn’t great by no means… considering the rw45 isn’t rated but for 1/2 max.
I don’t think it’s too bad. I believe I cut these between 5 and 8 ipm.

Are you applying a feedrate optimization in Fusion or Slow down rules in SheetCAM? If not I would be applying these for thicker materials. This will slow the torch for some radii and corners to allow the trailing lower part of the plasma column to catch up improving the definition of these features. Between 50-60% of the feedrate is a good start for these features .

2 Likes

I am not doing that in my program…thank you for the input! I use Fusion360 for CAD and CAM so I will look for this setting

I talk about it in the CAM part of this short video

2 minutes 15 seconds

2 Likes

very helpful…thank you for your time!

1 Like

So much good information in your video, I really appreciate that. I noticed that when defining the cut path…you didn’t have to select each hole and also the perimeter…I have always had to select each line I to cut and also determine the direction for it to cut…1) I am guessing that by you extruding your part and selecting the entire part for the geometry that it assumed what you wanted to cut 2) I am also more importantly guessing that based on that automation from fusion360 that it is using the best direction for all of the cuts which I believe the direction plays a role in where a bevel if any would be as well (either on the part or the throw away side)??

Thank you!

1 Like

You’re very welcome. Both 1) and 2) are correct.
With the addition is that there is a selection the defaults to cutting on the left side compensation. The only time this would ever be changed is doing single line geometry when you would use center instead.

ok I see. I am anxious to make these changes and cut out a part now to see how much of an improvement this makes.

Cut something small.

yes sir, will do.