Bearing issues, y axis getting bound up

I preload my bearings tighten everything in the order I am supposed to and run the break in program. It runs flawlessly the first couple times. Then the y axis bearings start to get tight and then these seize up toward the back end of the table. I’ve tore everything back apart and readjusted bearings leaving them a little looser than before and same results. Looking for ideas to keep this thing rollin. Thanks

same issue here, ran about 10 minutes of cutting time and had to stop for that reason. figure it out yet mate?

Try oiling the lead screws. The lead nuts can be a bit tight, especially on new machines, and my lead screws had some sticky lube on them that made it worse.

i have my lead screws backed all the way off and it’s still tight, could oiling them help back the bearing off in some way?

rn i’m thinking of levelling off my table100% pulling them apart and replacing them

I’m saying that its probably not the bearings at all. The Y movement will bind if the lead nut (white plastic nut) that runs on the lead screw has too much resistance. That could be from not having any lubricant on the lead screw threads or the spring on the lead nut is too tight(nothing you can do about that). Lubricating the threads on the lead screw with a light oil will help in both situations.

1 Like

okay i’ll try that out right now man, you think i should pull them completely out?? not too sure about taking them out but i’m willing to try anything… i’ve been messing around with the lead screws all morning and can’t see any progresss

I wouldn’t take anything apart yet. Just put some oil on the leadscrews and jog the machine around to see if it helps.

Just to be sure we are on the same page, the leadscrews are the really long threaded rods that the stepper motor turns. This statement has me a bit concerned that you don’t know what I’m referring to when I say “lead screws”.

Yes I was confused at first lol… I oiled the lead screws and it helped for a couple days but I’m back at the same spot now. I’m confident the on the fly adjustments to my bearings made it far worse and I need to fix it.

Any ideas on how I should go about taking apart the bearing blocks?

You don’t need to take anything apart. Start by running the gantry all the way forward until at least one of the bearing blocks is touching the mounting plates for the Y-axis rails. If they both touch, the gantry is probably square and you don’t have to mess with that.

If they are not both touching the plates, loosen all 6 of the bolts holding the X-rail to the bearing blocks. On the side that is not touching, turn the lead screw by hand until the block touches and then re-tighten all 6 bolts on the X-rail. Your gantry should now be square to the Y-axis.

To adjust the bearing blocks, loosen all 4 bolts at the corners of the bearing plate. Not the bearing adjustment bolts, but the ones that hold the bearing plate to the welded piece. Then loosen the adjustable bearing blocks(red plates with 2 bolts). Back off the adjustment screw until the bearings move freely. The top ones will always be tight, because they are supporting the weight of the gantry. Tighten the adjustment screws until at least one of the bearings on each side touches the rail. You want it just touching, because it will get tighter when you tighten down the red bearing blocks again.

Once all of the blocks have at least one bearing touching and the bolts on the red blocks are tightened again, you can tighten the 4 bolts at the corners of the bearing blocks. Your bearing adjustment should be done now.

You may have to loosen the bolts holding the lead nuts to the welded part of the bearing carrier, to allow them to align with the lead screw again. Do this with the gantry near the front of the machine and then tighten the lead nut mounting bolts again.

2 Likes