Bad Cuts after Air Dryer install

I’ve got about 9 hours of torch time on my XR and finally installed a harbor freight refrigerated air dryer. Did my first cuts on some 1/4" steel and got some of the worst cuts I’ve ever had with the table. The only thing that has changed is the addition of the dryer. The specs for the dryer says max inlet psi is 100 so I have that regulated to 100psi for the inlet of the dryer and then the outlet is going directly to the plasma (HT 65SYNC). Before the I got the dryer I had 125psi going to the plasma. Would this difference in psi be the cause of my problems?

It could be starving for air. I have the same dryer with around 125 going into it. It hasn’t blew yet

Anything you do to dry air also restricts cfm or volume. To combat that I have dry air storage after all my air drying equipment.

1 Like

That ripple look is close to what mine did the other day when I had it set to gouge somehow and it was only getting 32 psi. I think it’s not getting enough air. Run a test on the cutter to see what pressure it’s getting. On my 45xp it’s holding down the gouge button until it displays pc

1 Like

keep in mind that your air is running through 1/4" line through the refrigerated dryer in a lot of cases…I eliminated that issue by having a second 60 gallon tank after the dryer…

2 Likes

Update:

Ran another part this morning to verify the issue was still there. This weird bevel was still there but it was only on 1 side of the square. I then installed a brand new cartridge and ran the part again… & the part came out good. I then went back to the other cartridge & took some sand paper and lightly sanded the tip of the orifice. Ran the part again and the bevel was gone… picture attached.

I was cutting some aluminum before I started having this issue on the steel, could that have gummed up the cartridge maybe?

2 Likes