Autodesk sucks removing translators from software

i recieved this email this morning
Important changes are coming to your Fusion 360 for personal use software that you need to know about.

Effective October 1, 2020, functionality in Fusion 360 for personal use will be limited, and you’ll no longer have access to the following:
• Probing, 3 + 2-axis milling (tool orientation), multi-axis milling, rapid moves, automatic tool changes
• Multi-sheets, smart templates, output options for drawings (print only).
• Download options from public share links
• Cloud rendering
• Export options including F3Z, DWG, DXF, IGES, SAT, and STEP
• Simulation and generative design
• Unlimited active and editable Fusion 360 documents (10 doc limit).
• Fusion 360 extensions
These changes are being made to allow us to scale, align intended usage with the various offerings, support advanced capabilities for Fusion 360 subscribers, and stay true to our guiding principles of democratizing design for everyone.

Fusion 360 for personal use is still free for those of you working on home-based, non-commercial design, manufacturing, and fabrication projects.

For more information about these changes, please refer here and the FAQ

I got it too does that mean I can’t save a dxf file to my computer from fusion? I’d be willing to pay a reasonable amount for a lite version of the program. Don’t need the whole thing

that is what i took it to mean autodesk has been very preditory and selfcentered since their inseption in the 1980’s. i had worked with autocad rev 4 thru rev 12 in a previous life and found it clumsy and command driven then, but they were the only game below Computervision, Calma and Mcauto all of which were mainframe softwares in the 250k to 750k range with hardware.I have since worked with all sorts of CAD software, Cadkey, ProE, Catia all 3d solid modelers but didnt need that functionality anymore. So when i bought my crossfire pro table i took Langmuirs advice and downloaded fusion. so now 6 months later they pull the rug out thinking they are going to get us all to pay to upgrade, no thanks they lied to me in the 80’s and again now, im done.

I started using AutoCAD with R11 and continued until AutoCAD 2019. I am way more comfortable using AutoCAD and will often save a Fusion file to .dxf and move over to AutoCAD if I can’t get Fusion to do what I want it to do. I am very new to Fusion, about 3 months, so this is going to be a deal breaker. Any ideas on an affordable alternative?

@Korrall if all you are using Fusion 360 for is CAM (generating the gcode) then get SheetCAM. Your workflow will be AutoCAD for drawing, then import the dxf into SheetCAM to generate the gcode.

1 Like

Thanks, I thought that might be the best solution. I did some research on the fusion dxf issue and found a source that said we will still be able to save to dxf.

I’ve been using AutoCAD as well since the 80’s and I presently use AutoCAD 2007, which does everything I need to do and more in 2d.
I hate subscription, cloud-based software, so Fusion is definitely not on my horizon. 3D stuff I do on Solid Works 2010 and that’s primarily for stuff I need to model or send to my 3D printer. Previous to using AutoCAD in the 80’s I had an Apple IIE RoboCAD Workstation with an Apple pen plotter and that’s where I wet my feet in CAD.

I use TurboCad and can do anything I need to in 2D or 3D but does not do CAM. It did… maybe does offer a CAM add-in but have not heard anything good about it. They have moved to a subscription base which I do not like…and settled with the last “owned” version… No more upgrades for me but the earlier versions work just fine for anything on a home type cnc machine. It can save in a bunch of different file formats… including 3D printers. The platinum version can do anything a professional CAD package can do… and for the fraction of the price. Now looking at Sheetcam to take care of CAM… before I spend numerous hours learning Fusion. Currently… I do most CAD in TurboCad… import into Fusion and then post process but have been trying to learn Fusion to have a one stop place but from all that I have read…Autodesk starting to make it more difficult to stay with that platform long term.

I just HATE subscription and cloud-based software.
My entire smart home system died last week because Samsung decided to “upgrade” SmartThings, a perfectly working system, now with a totally $hit piece of software. Just hate being tied to mandatory updates, if I can’t own it, I’m out! :grinning:

1 Like

I have to join in the rant. My VPN supplier decided to ‘upgrade’ my router to make the UI ‘easier’ to use. Now all my ability to manage my network is gone AND they decided, ‘to simplify’ things, to bond my 5GHz WiFi network to the 2.4GHz network rendering all my 5GHz devices, specifically isolated from the others, incommunicato…

Needless to say I’m replacing the VPN supplier and reseting my AP/Router…

I just got the net gear Orbi setup and a synology NAS server and it’s been great.

I need a nas and trying to decide which one.

We probably should move this to a new thread, but I just got a Synology DS220j driveless system from Amazon and it was very easy to set up and compatible with virtually all OS’s (MAC, Windoze, Linux). One thing to be aware of is if you have 2.5" drives, you’ll need an adapter for each drive as the slots are for 3.5" only. I’d recommend this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZWX6PD, VERY high quality, and cheaper than Synology’s cheap plastic filler.

That’s the puppy I’m looking at and 4TB for starters. Agreed, let’s not hijack this thread!