Assembling the XR

Have the main frame and side tubes installed. Installed the top frame and it slides with one finger anywhere. The frame is totally leveled and totally squared. When I put a level on top of the top frame it is out of level and not by just a little. So have to open the holes on the high side tube to lower it??? Shim the top rail to the side roller? Anyone else have this problem, or do most even check it.

“The frame is totally leveled…” and “When I put a level on top of the top frame it is out of level…”. I’m not sure I understand…did you mean to say Tube Rails? If Tube Rails are not parallel with the frame I’d ask Langmuir directly.

The top Gantry is not level. Everything else is.

Tube rails are level? And if so, are the top roller guides on each side mounted at the same height? I don’t know what else it could be.

Look at where the gantry tube seats into the side frames, It might have moved some while setting the gantry assembly on the rails.
I checked my gantry and it’s off slightly compared to the table. The THC has no problem compensating for the slight difference. I also jogged it across the table and there was maybe 1/32" difference between the torch tip and the slats from one side to the other.

1 Like

Well My son stopped by with his construction laser level. The gantry is off over 4’ length .1889 drop. We measured where it sits In the machined surface as to there instructions to be on the bottom and sides tight on both sides. There lies the problem. Looks to be the powder coating on one side is heaver than on the other and the machined surface was not that great to begin with. Had to loosen the threaded rod and shim one side up to bring it back in level and retighten the threaded rod. Shot it again with the laser and now we are down to .005 from side to side. Close enough for government work.

2 Likes

It’s extremely unlikely that the powder coat in the machined pockets on the upright is causing a .1889" error in the parallelism of the gantry tube to the slat surface. Nothing wrong with your approach to fixing it, but something else is causing it. My guess is that the the Y rail spacing is slightly different than the center-to-center distance of your V rollers which is causing one side to ride up (i.e. only one flank of each roller is in contact with the tube). Could be wrong, but thats my guess based on your description.

2 Likes