Anyone in the So. Cal Area

by the way…nice generator…
a couple of more things…

even in high idle…when you try to fire the plasma…does the generator ramp up at all?..does it speed up in any way…??

I do feel it is dirty power as it is a non-inverted generator…so it creates a messy sine wave that is ot stable…an invertor …coverts the power from AC…to DC…then back to a smooth AC wave.

something to try…load up the generator with running another power tool on it…drill…grinder…saw…then with the generator running underload…try the plasma torch by hand…see if you get more frequent starts…

that will tell you if it is the generator…

1 Like

This weekend my goal was to find a friend where I can plug into the grid…

Generator dies not ramp up when on high idle…

I Will have to try the suggestion to run a power tool simultaneously and try to fire the torch

Thanks guys

Here are some pictures of my problems

see how the half of the “O” was not cut… the machine went through the motions of cutting it . then re-fired on the other ‘O’…
IMG_2955
Outside cuts seem to work ok if the torch fires,
IMG_2960
IMG_2961

The cuts are very acceptable to me no major dross either side…

I agree…things look good for your cuts…I still think the problem is the Generator…
quote from Plasma Spider

Not all plasma systems work the same on a generator output. Plasma systems tend to have a relatively high inrush current…which often can cause a voltage droop as soon as the arc tries to fire, which will cause the plasma to not fire. Some plasma systems will produce a lower output cutting power (watts, which is amperage x load voltage) if the input voltage is unstable.

https://www.plasmaspider.com/viewtopic.php?t=10602

Yeah, this is why it helps to have a whole summary of someone’s setup when they need help. Just have to work through the variables. My absolute first move would be more air. Hook up the bigger compressor and run some programs, then eliminate the generator next if the problems persist.

Although @toolboy has pulled some good info. If you have a different compressor than that’s the easiest one to test and eliminate.

I use an extension cord, but I made it from SO cord and can’t tell any problems with it. It’s long too.

1 Like

well today’s adventures are not much better…tried a couple of things.
the longer it runs off the Generator the worse it gets…
more and more dropped cuts until no fire at all…
Good news I have gotten a new to me 60 gallon compressor…
that will be the next project.

image0

now the previous pictures looked good…the lines being cut are really clean…even the ones between the misfires…
This one looks like your torch is not turning off between some cuts now…

I do not want to seem like i am repeating myself…

• only your plasma is running off the generator right…??
  • no other equipment is running of the generator right?

Yes only plasma cutter running off of generator

Was trying to test the “F -Bomb “ bottle opener.
The torch shuts off correctly it is a coin toss if it will fire again…

The extra cut was me holding the trigger
During a rapid…

I may be beating a dead horse…but…I keep going back to your comment…if your torch is hand held…and you are only going to freehand cut some metal (not use the crossfire in any way)…will it fire 100% of the time?

something you might want to also look into…read this thread…

1 Like

No, it will not fire 100% of the time
More like 40%

I will look into the control board…
And I will see about performing the mod.

I use Mach3

I really appreciate your help…

I got the same help from guys here…I am glad there is a forum by Lanmuir for us o help eachother

1 Like

How tight is your cup on the torch head? I had the same problem before and loosening it a quarter turn or so made it fire regularly. Also make sure the ground is good. I used to clamp it to my water table but now clamp it to the workpiece.

Hand snug
Clamp is on the metal itself…

Okay day after Christmas…
Does anybody know what the voltage
Comming out of the crossfire control box , going into the plasma cutter to fire the torch is supposed to be?

Blockquote How tight is your cup on the torch head? I had the same problem before and loosening it a quarter turn or so made it fire regularly. Also make sure the ground is good. I used to clamp it to my water table but now clamp it to the workpiece.

I even tried loosening the cup 1/4 turn

so here are a couple of pics of my controller board…image1

any known problems with this version?
used a multi-meter on the control box with mach3 running…
getting a signal every time it is supposed to fire but still missing cuts with no flame…

new compressor that can keep up

at this point I am stuck… still only fires about 40% of the time.

the table works great except I cannot use it to cut…:cry:

Thank you everone for your input…

Thanks to everyone that tried to help… the machine has been sent back to Razorweld…

waiting for an answer from them…

UPDATE UPDATE!!!
I would like to thank everyone that gave me ideas on how to fix my Problem.
I had sent the Plasma Cutter back to Razorweld for inspection…
The machine itself checked out okay,but they determined I had a faulty torch…
The Torch has been replaced and the machine sent back now I am cutting like a champ!!!

after a year of practice cuts, I made a bottle opener!!

Thank you everyone!!

3 Likes