Anyone else having trouble inserting DXF [Solved]

I have tried to import some old DXF files into Fusion 360 today and keep getting the message, “Fails to insert DXF files” and the useless ‘detailed’ message is exactly the same. Then I tried SVG files and the scaling, if it imports at all is all messed up, finally I tried to import a DXF file that I generated from Fusion just a couple of days ago and get the same stupid message as above.

FWIW here is the last DXF I’ve tried to insert:
TopPlateV4.dxf (91.4 KB)

1 Like

It worked for me.

1 Like

I just did this one as well:

Here is the actual file:
Xmas santa boy.dxf (404.0 KB)

(Edited: the banner warning is still up from yesterday. I just left that window opened and never cleared the warning. I seriously just loaded those drawings today, your honor!)

1 Like

Thanks Jim! I’ll check again tomorrow. I restarted Fusion, but I did not reboot my system. Supposedly I have the latest updates. All the DXF files I tried I was able to load in Inkscape, Vcarve Pro, and Lightburn. The message Fusion gives is totally useless other than stating the obvious - it fails to load. Duh.

2 Likes

I know what you mean. There is so much that I don’t know, so when Fusion starts to describe something to me in an error, my eyes just gloss over! :upside_down_face:

Computer issues can be so aggravating. My laptop that I use for FireControl had an issue that it would not turn on. Worked one day and the next day: Nothing. It was still under warrantee so I called Costco and they got me in touch with Dell Support. Eventually, they decided it was probably the switch. Make a long story less long, they offered me a reconditioned computer or that I would need to wait 8 months for a new motherboard (during the worst of the COVID shut down). I told them that was unacceptable. They finally got it back to me in a month.

Be nice if they did that, but in this case, “Fails to insert DXF files” was the complete message AND the detailed version. Geez…

1 Like

Probably related to their maintenance update. I don’t think I.T. people ever read the old saying " If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it"

I.T. and Politicians have some similarities: They may be fixing a problem but forgot to anticipate the unintended consequences to their “fix.”

1 Like

I marked this as ‘Resolved’. I had a good support session with Autodesk this morning and the conclusion is that the latest Fusion Update is not happy with my Antiquated Graphics adapter. The ‘solution’ will be replacing my internal crappy Intel Graphics card with one that Supports new Graphics driver.

In the meantime the workaround, should you have this same problem, is either convert the DXF to SVG using some other SW like Inkscape OR ‘import’ the DXF using File->Upload in the Project browser. This will create a Cloud copy of the file and then open that file into your design. Apparently that doesn’t rely on a Graphics engine to do the conversion.

4 Likes

Changed the Title to Solved. I got a new(er) Graphic Card that supports DirectX 12, etc, and tried to insert DXF in Fusion and it worked without a problem. I suppose one could ask why the graphics card/driver was an issue on Insert 2D Vector graphics file that had 7 elements… But we’re being trained to not ask…

Of course Fusion 360 took almost 15 minutes to startup because ‘something’ changed on my system but hopefully tomorrow it will only take the usual 5 minutes to load.

4 Likes

Tom If you upgrade your hardware every time something new comes out and stay ahead of the curve, things will work much better…I think
After all its just money!

1 Like

That’s excellent advice! Thanks for the offer. How about you keep me fully up to date on new Hardware Gee Whizz stuff, supplying me with systems so I don’t have to do this every ten years…

2 Likes

Tom I have made my life’s work to helping people, you included. But that’s only includes advice, there will not be any monetary exchanges. I will keep you in my prayers during your times of struggle!