Anyone cutting anything thicker the 1\8"?

Just wondering if anyone is cutting material 1/4" or thicker?? I would love to see the quality of parts being made. I have a machine on order but will most likely using it for brackets that will have structrual integrity not for metal decorations on the wall. Thanks in advance!

Check out this instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BoKwfRGnyS2/?taken-by=nickkoupiaris

I cut 1/4" an it actually does BETTER on the thicker material! There was almost zero dross on my cuts. I also purchased mine more for structural items rather than artwork but the artwork helped me learn. I cut this yesterday.

I made this yesterday. It holds a hydraulic block on a combine corn head.

4 Likes

3 Likes

What settings do you use? And what machine?

Piece of 1/2" I cut this evening. It’s a Western Wideout snowplow cutting edge for the wings.

I pretty much only use mine (OG table) on 3/8" and thicker for structural components

3 Likes

That looks awesome…what type of setup do you have for CNC table and Plasma machine?

what plasma cuter do you have my Plasma cutter is the Razorweld cut 45 and so far anything in quarter inch looks like crap. It came with the new Langmuir XR table It does a beautiful job you 1/8 inch or thinner
But I need some help to get this thing setup to cut quarter inch. I got a drawing to quote
Cut out of quarter inch hot roll I’m really hoping I can get this thing to cut this job

It’s all about cut speed. I don’t have a Razorweld, but it shouldn’t matter that much. I get good cuts at 45 amps and 20 IPM with a 1 second delay on 1/4" material with my Everlast 52i. I don’t cut much 1/4", so I may be able to go faster.

With the proper speed and delay, you should get less dross than you get with 1/8".

ISTM that, with a PC that has a 45 Amp top end, and a Max pressure that you can read from the user manual, that you only have one variable left - cut speed. Create a test pattern that has a number of straight lines, spaced probably 2x or more than material thickness, and set to cut at different speeds. This isn’t rocket science. Find out what works.

1 Like

There are a few test coupons here in the forum and on fireshare you can download and use.

That’s what I have been doing with different thickness and types of material i come across.

I would do as @TomWS suggested.

Use a test with several straight lines, start with the book value and branch out from there.

Once you find the best straight line cut …test it on rectangular hole and the round hole you are concerned about.

Let us know how it goes.

2 Likes

Razorweld at 45 amps, crossfire pro, machine torch

1/8 inch at 65 ipm, .5 pierce delay
3/16 and 1/4 at 40 ipm 1.0 pierce delay
3/8 at 27 ipm, 1.5 sec pierce delay
1/2 inch at 17 ipm 1.8 pierce delay

Dang, and I thought it would be hard… You know, like rocket science…