Another WA Guy Joins

Got my achievement today pretty excited really …

Just waiting on my CNC (Pro), figured I get familiar with the forums.

I’m up near Snohomish in WA (we’re called Snohomies or Snohoes), retired at 45 and now collect hobbies to settle my ADHD brain’s need to hyper focus on something new every 3mo. This (metal fabrication) is the latest thing in a LONG list of hobbies.

So, nice to meet you - I’ll be lurking for the next few months!

2 Likes

Welcome.

This can be a mental workout if you don’t have much computer skills

When you master it just grab a mr1.

It’s a load of fun.

I’m pretty solid with computer skills (that was my business). The Langmuir software looks simple enough and F360 is close enough to the SketchUp I use for woodworking, that I don’t think I’ll have to much issue… I say that now with no real experience however. I’ve never held a plasma cutter before! So far it’s been a ton of research and that’s the best bit for me!

I already have MR1 on the brain. Putting a place in the shop for it now, since I know I’ll need to try it! Just need to do the whole CNC plasma thing for a few days before I tell myself I’m a pro and it’s time to move onto milling.

1 Like

Awesome sounds like you won’t have much trouble.

Heads up. You need plenty clean dry air. Watch out for grounding issues.

I bought the Emax 5hp 80gal Air compressor (19ish CFM @ 90psi) that should work? I am thinking about the Harbor Freight air dryer (just trying to get over $550 for what used to be $300). Once I get the “your table shipped” email I’ll probably buy it… just hoping for a 20% off coupon.

What are the grounding issues you mentioned? I haven’t seen that brought up before. Unless you’re talking the (positive) grounding clamp on the work piece and not just the table?

Your in there with the air compressor. I use the same air dryer. I have a very high demand for air the air dryer has a recommend inlet temp. I put a aftercooler to drop air temp. I would highly recommend a desiccant bead cells dryer after the refrigerated dryer. Then a filter is a must.

As for the ground that is one plague these machines have you can get a ground loop through your breaker box from the plasma to your computer. Makes all kinds of crazy things happen. The only band aid known is a ground isolating plug adaptor for the computer. Well as far as I have seen.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beers:

I completely agree! They’re both 3D!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :beers:

PS: I like your sense of humor!

1 Like

Welcome, Retired at 45 That has to be nice!

1 Like

I retired then started collecting hobbies - I’ll probably have to go back to work at 80. I’m really banking on my younger years, catching up with me and making sure I don’t live that long.

Welcome to the group!!