Air dryer requirements

Anyone using this air dyer? i live in Michigan and just recenlty started getting some moisture and added a motorguard M60 which helped but going to buy this instead of doing a pipe project on my wall. this one seems to have good reviews so hopefully it solves my issues.

1 Like

I use one works great catches a lot of water. They do have a max inlet temp though I don’t remember what it is. I do a lot of sandblasting so I have a radiator before my dryer.

Also it is best to put a bead cell dryer after the refrigerated dryer.

2 Likes

There are some favorable Youtube reviews. That’s gonna be my next move if what I showed above doesn’t do it for rme this Summer. Here in S Indiana we get excessive humidity June-Aug.

From what I’ve read, the lower you can get the inlet temp the more effective they will be. So mine will go after all my DIY stuff and before the filter and dessicant pair at the table.

I’ll add a desiccant dryer and filter for after also. i only do this stuff for fun and when having issues, it’s not fun…lol

I have been working on my air supply and decided to give this a try:

This is a 100 foot coil of 1/2 pex. You can see the Derale fin cooler core in the center. The air first goes to the cooler core which is angled at about 45 degrees. This eliminates any loop that would collect moisture. When it gets to the bottom, it goes to a Baomain auto-drain filter then back to the top of the pex coil. When that reaches the bottom, it will go to another Baomain auto-drain filter. (All of this is after the air compressor tank, similar to what @TinWhisperer advised).

I have ordered the Harbor Freight air dryer and that is where the air goes next. Thanks to @toolboy recommendation of the temperature sensor switch, which I have ordered, there will be a Lasko 20" inch fan blowing upwards toward this coil and cooler core. Prior to reaching the plasma cutter, I have Tru-Flate Dessicant filter that will catch any remaining moisture.

5 Likes

Just ordered this filter tonight to put between my new air dryer and plasma cutter. I had my compressor drain line freeze which is what started all of this fun spending. This should be overkill but moisture in air is not fun! I have couple new signs ready to cut for my pole barn front. I started doing a bunch of the gas and oil and other popular signs for myself.

3 Likes

I just shared my plans for the bracket for that desiccant dryer in Fireshare:
https://www.langmuirsystems.com/fireshare/tru-flate-56-081-desicant-dryer-bracket

2 Likes

That looks like a whisky making set up…

2 Likes

thanks for sharing plans. it’ll save me some time.

1 Like

Ok so I have things mounted and I did add a Wilkerson M28-04-CK00. Found it on eBay for $35
I also added a high flow coupler and Plug to air hose.

“M” Series Coalescing Filters, with Type “C” 0.01 micron elements : All Wilkerson Type “M” Oil Removal (Coalescing) Filters with Type “C” 0.01 micron elements exceed ISO Class 1 for maximum particle size and concentration of solid contaminants, and exceed Class 1 on maximum oil content (ppm/wt).

4 Likes

Don’t let me near your natural gas lines!!! Finally finished. It is not pretty but I think it will work. My first cutting project went awry. I did all of this work and expense and in the middle of cutting a fairly complicated project it started having problems. It seems you need the air compressor turned ON for it to work! :open_mouth: :rofl:

Here is what happens at the other end before going to the plasma cutter:

Not sure how hot the air is but this temperature sensor on this tube registers 248 degrees F.

2 Likes

How long ago did you buy the refrigerated unit from Harbor Freight? Their website has been saying “out of stock” for months.

It was shipped on Feb 20, 2023 so about a week before that. Right now it is showing that I can order it. Try picking another store. Sometimes, that affects the listing for some companies like Walmart. Perhaps that is what is happening to you.

Realize that this is an item that is exclusively ONLINE. You won’t find it in any of their stores. Maybe, it used to be in the stores but no longer.

3 Likes

Wow! It actually showed up today using my local store. Ordered one. I must have checked 10 times since November and it always said “Unavailable”. I must have bad timing!

I can’t believe they only charged $6.99 for Shipping and Handling. Those Ruland Black Oxide couplers on Amazon are $13 each plus $10 shipping.

2 Likes

I noticed that they have added a little caveat to the purchase: “Once opened, do not return to the store.” So if it breaks during the warrantee period, you will need to box it up and pay the true shipping charge to wherever they say.

2 Likes

Thanks for that info. Knowing that, I’m just stubborn enough to try to fix it before I pay that much freight.

@ChelanJim …uhh…“IT LIVES!!!”…wow…looks like a variation of a Tesla coil…on steroids…

here is mine…

5 Likes

I know!!! You were my inspiration to do something. I just knew that I could not do what you did. I tried to figure where did I have a wall space for suspending a dry tank. As it turned out, yesterday I was cutting for about 3 or 4 minutes before I got into trouble. The torch kept quitting. It turned out that I forgot to turn my air compressor back on (after all the plumbing). So…if I can cut for 3 minutes before I need the compressor, I probably can keep up with air demands if the compressor is turned on.

I loved your suggestion for the temperature sensor. I ordered that the day I saw your posting. It works great. I have the fan and the drain of the tank on that circuit. The drain cycles open for one second every 20 minutes. So basically, every time that circuit turns on the drain is opened once.

2 Likes

I tried to order it and it says it can’t be shipped to my address. Looks to come from Canada. Are you in the US?

Yes. Washington State. That seems strange. Perhaps a manager at a local HF store could help you order it.
,Now are we talking about the dryer or the temperature sensor device that activates for heating/cooling? The comment you are referencing, I was trying to say that to @toolboy. Might have used the wrong “reply” button.