Air Compressor Question

I just got a Dewalt DXCM601 and the threads on the air output port were very rough. The nipple I used to pipe into it didn’t turn a very satisfying number of turns. I think there may be paint inside. I haven’t fired it up yet, but I did use Rectorseal 5 on the threads so I hope it doesn’t leak. Might be we need to chase the threads before we get tight fits… I’ll update when I fire it up (waiting on anti-vibration pads).
PS: to answer your question, yes, it is a 3/4NPT fitting.

Hey Dave, looking at your set up, I think you really want to come off the compressor with 1/2" fittings if your line into the plasma cutter is 1/4" go to that right in front of it.
1/4" with a quick disconnect is asking for trouble down the line. Go off the compressor with 1/2" and put together a home made manifold with one line reduced close to and just before the plasma cutter. Then if you want to add something else you can go down to 3/8" and have a plugged fitting ready to go. Don’t be afraid to use plastic, it works pretty good but copper is better.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the info/advice. I just ordered some rectorseal 5. Cheers, Dave

I have the same compressor and noted the same on those threads. I have a steel plug 3/4 MNPT I used to chase the threads and they’re much better now. FWIW, I’m using anti-vibration pads I cut from common 4 x 6 stall mats (recycled rubber).

1 Like

UPDATE: I was finally able to fire it up yesterday and I’m happy to say that the pressure is holding steady since yesterday afternoon without any additional attention.

Now if Amazon can get the correct Whip hose to me so I can hook it up to the rest of my system…

I just got a Kobalt 80 gal, 5 hp, still setting it up ( oil fill plug was missing).
It is still on the pallet as I’m trying to decide where it’s final home will be.
I can’t find a clear answer of leaving it on the pallet vs bolting to the floor. My limited time running breaking in (until I realized the fill plug was missing) seemed to run fine on the pallet.
Any problems anyone knows of leaving it on the pallet for a while?

Mine has been on the pallet for going on 5 years now. A couplie times i moved it it slid pretty easy, Its a 60 gallon. Doesnt vibrate or move any.

2 Likes

Thanks, good to know. Pallet seems thicker wood than a normal pallet, so hoping I could just leave it.

1 Like

I got my 60 gallon about five months ago and it’s still on the pallet as well. I figure when or if I need to move it, it will be much easier.

1 Like

I think on a pallet is fine. Better then setting on cement where it will vibrate around. The wood will absorb the vibration and not slide on the concrete.

1 Like

Glad to hear folks are leaving on pallet. I’m headed to Tractor Supply soon to pick up one of those 60gal Dewalts…and was not looking forward to bolting it down. Plus I can move it with my tractor pallet forks if need be.

I put the dewalt on casters. Seems stable enough so far. I like having everything on wheels so I can roll it out when I clean the shop. WRT the Dewalt. It is the loudest compressor I have owned. Does anyone have advice or some pics on how they cut down on the decibels? Cheers. Dave.

2 Likes

No idea why that picture is sideways.

@ctgolfer, reading through this thread as I’m setting up, and saw your comment “1/4” with a quick disconnect is asking for trouble down the line".
Can you elaborate on this?
I’m trying to figure out how to connect the compressor to a fixed plastic line running to where the CF is placed. All I can come up with is a 3/8 flex hose to the plastic pipe, since it seems like using plastic direct to the compressor will eventually vibrate and break. I have a 3/4 outlet at the tank, so “necking it down” to 3/8 at the tank was concerning me.

I measured the noise level yesterday and it’s only 1db louder than my Grizzly 2HP compressor and should run a lot less often, but, I do agree, having a compressor like this in a small shop certainly let’s you know when it’s running!

I look at that compressor noise as the sound of success. Once my table starts with the 75psi air blowing, water and sparks a flying I don’t even notice it .

2 Likes

I agree with Jim, it’s probably the least noisiest in my shop/garage. Plus I have to by the door. I did put one full sheet of Sheetrock up next to it, which has cut the noise down somewhat. But I don’t consider it to be that noisy.

The plastic will take the vibration just fine as long as the compressor is bolted down. It is best to come off the compressor with at least 1/2", through all your bends and turns then neck down to 3/8" and then 1/4" if you have to right before your filters, if that what your filters require.
Some (cheap china) swivels and quick disconnects choke the air volume down so much that you could end up with problems 1/2 way through a long cut because the volume being delivered is short.
When you start a cut and your compressor is at 180 lbs it will push enough air through to cut well, then your compressor goes down to 120 before it fires up to refill and at 120 you may not be delivering enough volume to keep a consistent cut.
1/2" lines will guarantee your never short on volume.

Ahh, OK, so the larger pipe keeps the volume up, and adds additional storage capacity, until the very last connection hooking up to the plasma cutter/filter.

ISTM, putting sound absorbing material BEHIND the compressor is the best way to quiet it down. After I thought about the measurements I made, my reading was about 86-87 dB which is about 6-7 db higher than the published spec. This makes sense since the published spec is probably measured in an anachoic chamber so the ONLY noise that’s measured is the noise coming directly at you from the compressor. However, in a shop where the compressor is surrounded by hard surfaces, you’ll also get a lot of reflected noise from those surfaces. Absorb those and your sound level will probably drop by a significant amount. You still need to let your compressor ‘breathe’ (ie, you can’t surround it with ‘stuffing’), but you don’t have to listen to every little bit of noise it makes!

1 Like