Adobe Illustrator Conversion

Is there a software program that can accurately convert an Illustrator file to g code? Importing files to Fusion 360 don’t come across accurately.

Just wondering if there is an easier way than having to redesign?

Inkscape can take a PDF and create an SVG file with the “trace to bitmap” setting.
This will change it to a SVG file that you can work with and then save to DFX file…then you can load the DFX into 360 or sheetcam and create code.

Actually, if the PDF is a line drawing and not an image, Inkscape will open it as a graphic file with the graphic objects imported as groups. If you ungroup them, the line drawing objects will be paths already…
I think PDF stores the graphics internally as EPS, but I could be wrong about this…

1 Like

That is one way it works true…but even if it is a pdf image like a img file you can still trace to bitmap to create the svg.

Agreed, I don’t disagree that the trace bitmap feature is useful, but OP was talking about generating graphics in Illustrator and importing into something else. If PDF is a natural output of Illustrator, then import into Inkscape is straightforward.
I do wonder if PDF is the only output format of Illustrator, however. ISTM that there are others in the forum who use Illustrator. What do you say all?

Illustrator should be able to export as svg. I’d be shocked if they could not.

At that point it’s maybe the same process that you helped me with @TomWS.

But can’t fusion import an svg?

Illustrator can save and read AI (internal native format), PDF, EPS, SVG natively. It can export/import to DFX,DWG (autodesk) and most bitmap/raster graphics formats, like BMP, JPG, PNG, TIF.

2 Likes

Ah, there you go. So perhaps OPs drawing aren’t scaling correctly when exporting to fusion. You may have to play with the export settings to get it to look right. Check the DPI that you are designing in AI, that is known to cause errors I believe.

I’ve seen some of my drawing export kind of crooked when I was trying different export options. Took me a while to figure out exactly what will work.