Acetone cleaning

I just came across this and want to know why I didn’t know it existed a long time ago.

Getting the steel (or aluminum for that matter) clean is critical to getting good welds. I always do a final wipe of something I’m going to weld with a rag soaked in denatured alcohol or acetone. Typically pour some on the piece or into the rag & then wipe it down.

This thing lets you just stick your rag on top and then push down & up squirts the acetone into the rag. One handed.

Genius!

4 Likes

i need that!!. where’d you get it ?

Amazon, where else? :laughing: Different sizes available. This is the 2 qt one. I can buy the gallon at Home Depot now instead of the qts. They also gave a yellow one. I’m thinking if ordering one of those now too. Keep one with acetone & one with alcohol.

Yeah I bought a gallon from HD and trying to fill the quart one for better portability but that shit went everywhere but into the funnel in the smaller one… lol

Gonna look that up!

Yeah, ingenious. My grandfather had one of these…
Of course, it wasn’t made of plastic back then.

That is interesting. For a long time I just use a quart size spray bottle and HF microfiber cloths (on sale super cheap) and clean the cloths later for extra uses.

Plastic funnels are very practical too.

Does the plunger can automatically seal itself so the acetone doesn’t evaporate?

Yes it seals so the contents don’t evaporate away on you.

1 Like

I ordered the quart size steel can version. It’s still pretty good sized, maybe even bigger than I need. A pint may be perfect, but I didn’t want to refill too frequently.

I have the 2L (qt) for acetone since I’m wiping down bigger parts with that. I’m getting the pint one for denatured alcohol since I don’t use that as much. I’ll probably end up with the qt because of the 3-bears solution :slightly_smiling_face: