About to expand my table

Good afternoon everyone,

Its been a long time since i posted anything, life getting in the way of fun stuff. We all know how that goes. Anyway ive been tossing this idea around for a while now abd finally decided to do it. Im going to expand my cross fire xl up to a cut area of 25 x 53 (if i calculated right). before anyone commets “just buy the pro” I wont be doing that for a few reason. Mostly space and i like to customize my machine to make it more mine.

Along with the size expansion, im planning of doing away with the db-9 connectors and upgrading to aircraft connectors as well as make the long axis the x instead of y. More along the lines of how i was taugh machine work.

Anyone interested in seeing the process? It may take a while since im working full-time and possibly about to change jobs.

FWIW, I prefer the SD type connectors as they lock with a 1/4 turn, IP68 rated, and gold plated. Aircraft connectors are inexpensive and popular, however.

The only ‘problem’ with this is where you define the origin (0,0) as that will affect how +Y and +X moves are made (you might have to change your coordinate system in your CAD software.

Expanding in the long direction on an XL is probably much simpler since you don’t have to add a second beam to support the gantry beam.

2 Likes

Have a part number for those SD connections? They sound interesting.

Good catch on the origin. If you think about it, nothing has to be changed. As is from langmuir x0 y0 ( looking from above with y rail on the left side) is in the upper left corner. Now if we rotate the axis 90 degrees origin still is in the upper left corner although the location of the homing switches and possibly the rotation of the stepper motor will need to be changed but thats a minor wire swap to fix that. Feel free to correct me if im wrong in thinking.

1 Like

From the current 0,0, the Quadrant I (where motion is +X,+Y) is toward the opposite corner. If you reverse X & Y, the table is now in Quadrant IV where Y is negative from the X axis. You can make that movement positive Y, but you’ll have to change your CAD config to do it.

This is the sort of thing I’m talking about. Search on “SD16 4 pin”…
https://www.amazon.com/ZBLZGP-Industrial-Connector-Waterproof-Aviation/dp/B0CJHVM9SN

1 Like