2kw laser addon in action, how feasible is it with the xr?

Just saw this video of a gentleman using a 2kw hand held laser attached to a “plasma” table and needless to say from the small video it is quite impressive. I’m curious if anyone here has tried this. Not sure what all would have to be modified on the xr to get this to work.

https://youtu.be/QEjBbaPqD68?list=TLPQMjQwMjIwMjQ45tuZr1RxuA&t=122

Not sure how to make the video show in the post

My cut quality is better with Hypertherm plasma than the laser cutter he uses in vid…

3 Likes

Yea, that cut quality is pretty jank, esp from a laser. Only real upside to it, it’s not conductive material dependent.

Also, don’t forget the photon back scattering you’re going to get from a laser of that power level. Better keep it in its own enclosure during use, or bye bye ojos (or probably is even a skin cancer risk at that point too).

2 Likes

Not just eyes! Without a covering over a 2KW laser you will have the cut pattern reflected into your body! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Yea, that’s why the skin cancer comment. Lasers don’t mess around.

We sure have come a long way… back in late '80s I programmed a murata wiedemann with a 1200 watt spectra physics resonator and we thought that was space shuttle technology LOL. We burned hundreds of thousands of pounds of stainless steel sheet for fast food restaurants in the US…

That was a CO2 design with a resonator the size of a large truck mounted welder. We will the beam got out to the cutting lens above the material via a series of six mirrors mounted at intersections of being delivery tubes.

Nowadays that cutting technology has gone the way of fiber optic beam delivery and it’s driven the price of those machines into the one to two million range and built by big fabrication Machine tool builders like Amada and Trump. But no more mirrors! Now you just have to worry about somebody nicking that fiber optic those 10,000 Watts will start a fire real quick LOL

Anyway not to ramble but that is amazing they can squeeze 2,000 w into that little device. What the heck kind of technology do they use for the resonator? Does anybody know?