2 questions - Consumables & Machine Torch

I feel like both of these inquiries are… Controversial to some degree… I came to that assumption exhausting the search on this forum the last few weeks. So, I apologize ahead of time if I am missing something, that I could have resolved on my own, which of course I’d have rather done.

1. Not as controversial, but consumables. I have the HF Titanium 65 plasma, with the stock TI-PC65 torch. We have had this plasma and the crossfire pro for about 3 weeks. I’ve cut some thin gauge metal like saw tooth slats to replace the slats, and some misc. But the bulk of my cutting has been 1/2 inch steel. At least close to 2 4x8 sheets where i really minimized waste. Also, I cut some brackets and lifted the X/Z axis quite a bit temporarily, to plunge cut about nine 6-inch holes in some I-beams pushing close to 7/8in. I have been through a total of 12 tips, less electrodes. When asking for more to be purchased, there was some minimal concern that I was going through them to fast. So, does 12 tips seem excessive for what I have cut?

2. We bought a machine torch, and I had no involvement in the purchasing, but after receiving it from plasmadyne, and having trouble, I found… Posts… Here… Seemingly to warn away from buying from this company? Again, not my choice, so I tried lots of things. It started with firing and the kicking off in a second or two. Maybe I could get an inch cut… On pretty much any thickness. We pulled out the regulator from inside the plasma cutter, install an external one, and have a 3 stage dryer dedicated to this plasma alone… We are an industrial welding company, we run 5 Yaskawa Industrial MH-50 robots that weld, most of our welding is on large scale, up to 30,000 pound dies. We have a large machine shop to accomodate, not up to 30,000, but large dies more so than most shops. My point being, our air system is large, and plentiful. Air isn’t an issue, at least volume wise getting to the plasma.

Which is what Plasmadyne told me on the phone.

I took the torch apart. cleaned up some… questionable wiring, tested and reassembled. Its better. I can cut 10-12 inch straight cuts on 1/8 in steel. Definitely doesn’t even pierce 1/2 inch, or even try to… Odd thing is I couldn’t even get the 1/8 in steel without turning the air down to 50 psi. Which seemed counter intuitive.

I probably haven’t provided enough detail, but am still being pushed to make the machine torch work. Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Have your boss talk to @mechanic416, he won’t mince words about what to expect if it’s a dodgy torch.

1 Like