2 in difference from top too bottom of gantry

I have a two inch difference from the top of the gantry to the bottom. I have redone the screws, followed the video’s, doesn’t seem to level out no matter what I do. I do have a water table. When I jog the system , it starts out good and by the time it gets to the top it is way off.

1 Like

Having a hard time understanding what you mean. By bottom, do you mean the floor, or is it front to back?

Front to back. There is too much of a down slope from the gantry too the torch mount at the end of the rail If that makes sense

Using “down” is not helping. That would indicate direction of gravity to the floor - which is not a travel option going front to back unless the whole frame is twisted severely,as en example, the front left and front right are lets say 42" from the floor, and the back is only 40", or even worse, the back right is 42" and the back left is 40"

Is the left to right rail (X axis) square at the front on the left and right, but when you move it to the back the left side is at the end of travel, and the right side is 2 inches away from the end of travel?

1 Like

Yes, sorry. I had to picture what you said in my head.

OK. If when you move front to back, and one side is 2 inches farther than the other from the end of travel, then most likely you have a coupler slipping at the motor.

Move the gantry all the way to the back, turn off the controller, and manually turn the leadscrews to make sure both the left and right side are almost touching the brackets.

Take a paint marker or sharpie and put a line down the motor shaft, down the coupler, and a 1/2 inch or so down the leadscrew on both sides. Turn the controller back on, and move (jog) the gantry all the way to the front. Look at your lines. if they are not lined up, tighten the allen screws on the coupler. Keep doing this until they stay lined up.

2 Likes

Thank you.

Be sure to let us know if that fixes it.

1 Like

I will, thanks

We need a picture of this problem, because your description is not making any sense. Top and bottom refer to up towards the ceiling or down towards the floor. Machine travel is front to back or right to left (X or Y positive or negative)

On the standard Crossfire, the Y rail is supported on both ends. The X rail is only supported on one end. I’m assuming that your problem is that you can’t get the X rail level.

3 Likes

Oops… Not a PRO.

What @ds690 said. That would mean the bearings are way too lose, or the tube is twisted if all the hardware is tight.

1 Like

If the issue is getting the X rail level, you need to loosen these 4 bolts on each side of the weldment. Those bolts hold the bearing blocks onto the weldment and have enough play in them to allow the X axis to move up and down on the unsupported end.
Slide64~3

1 Like